Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Of the lesser known names…

Flatbrimmer

I haven’t heard much about some of the lesser named brands of boots in regards to comfort, durability, water resistant quality, and overall workmanship. Affordability is not included because I feel a 300+ dollar pair of boots all should be relatively comparable and all fall out of the, “you-get-what-you-pay-for” ideology IMO. You are paying for it.

Ive tried to go into various stores to try them on first before making an online purchase but nowhere here carries HanWag or Meindl…
I really like the look of the inside of the inside of the Hanwags— they look comfy! But EE isn’t an option and I’m really leaning toward a wide boot..

I also like these Meindl Vakuum’s and they do have a wide option but again, I cannot try them on ahead of time..

That being said, has anyone ever used HanWag or Meindl boots and what did you like/not like?

Thanks in advance

I haven’t heard much about some of the lesser named brands of boots in regards to comfort, durability, water resistant quality, and overall workmanship. Affordability is not included because I feel a 300+ dollar pair of boots all should be relatively comparable and all fall out of the, “you-get-what-you-pay-for” ideology IMO. You are paying for it.

Ive tried to go into various stores to try them on first before making an online purchase but nowhere here carries HanWag or Meindl…
I really like the look of the inside of the inside of the Hanwags— they look comfy! But EE isn’t an option and I’m really leaning toward a wide boot..

I also like these Meindl Vakuum’s and they do have a wide option but again, I cannot try them on ahead of time..

That being said, has anyone ever used HanWag or Meindl boots and what did you like/not like?

Thanks in advance
Meindl boots in the 70's were as good as Lowa's. Leather.
I did wear out a pair in the 90's. Just hunting. Leather & synthetic.

I have a pair of Meindl (denalis?) that I just replaced. They were awesome boots and I had zero complaints. Keep the leather conditioned and gouped up and they were waterproof until the end. Only reason I did not get another pair is because I was seduced by the sale they had at schnees. Would recommend 10/10

I have used the Meindl since 2008. That pair finally saw its end this spring. I have an older pair of the vakkums before they were named that when cabelas carried them. Just got another pair. Excellent customer service from them as well.

I bought a pair of kenetrek mountain extreme and crispi this spring. I will not be using them this fall. I feel the kenetrek is way over sized. I had them measure my feet. They put me 2 sizes above any other boot size I’ve worn. The kenetrek are super stiff imo. And with 100 miles on them idk that they are broken in yet? These boots also make my ankles and shins hurt.

The crispi are comfortable, but cannot get them to snug up in a way to make my feet feel good after wearing them all day. They also make my ankles hurt after a full day. Not sure if that’s from their ABSS.

Call and chat with the folks at Meindl. They have a pretty good return policy also.

Lot's of friends who love their Meindls. I like my kenetreks, but agree with @golfer : if I'm not in super steep country, they can be too stiff.

Also recommend Oboz for cheaper hiking boots. Not as high of coverage, but great support.

I use two types of Meindls and love them. Great boot, reasonable price, and a big toe box. The latter us the most critical. I get really cold toes in boots with smaller toes.

Cabelas used to carry them and may still. Ask on their wrbsite where you can find them to try.

I wore Hanwag Alaskans for 4 years and really liked them, they fit really well up until I collapsed the toe box by having them sit too close to the tent stove.

A super unknown boot that I bought a month ago after talking to some others that bought them, Mishmi Takin. They’re made in Romania and feature the event liner (comparable to Goretex but so far breathes better) and has a vibram sole. We’ll see how they fare through this fall but so far I really like them.

I wore Hanwag Alaskans for 4 years and really liked them, they fit really well up until I collapsed the toe box by having them sit too close to the tent stove.

A super unknown boot that I bought a month ago after talking to some others that bought them, Mishmi Takin. They’re made in Romania and feature the event liner (comparable to Goretex but so far breathes better) and has a vibram sole. We’ll see how they fare through this fall but so far I really like them.
Where’d you find those?

Where’d you find those?
They’re only online, so there’s definitely a risk involved with giving them a shot. I’d say they fit like a Salomon Quest so I think they’re fairly adaptable to a lot of people’s feet but far better construction, maybe a tiny bit stiffer. They also feel noticeably lighter than most boots I’ve worn.

They’re only online, so there’s definitely a risk involved with giving them a shot. I’d say they fit like a Salomon Quest so I think they’re fairly adaptable to a lot of people’s feet but far better construction, maybe a tiny bit stiffer. They also feel noticeably lighter than most boots I’ve worn.
Thanks, I’ll look them up.
Did they run true to size for you?

Thanks in advan
Ive been using a pair of Meindl insulated boots I got from Cabelas for late season hunting for 8 or so years, and they are the best boots I have ever owned. Sadly they don't make that model any more, but I am doing my best to keep them in good condition so I can continue using them. I have had plenty of boots from the most popular brands and these still stand head and shoulders above for me. For what it's worth, a pair of the high end Lowas came and went from damage while the Meindls are holding strong. Just my personal experience.

For what it's worth, a pair of the high end Lowas came and went from damage while the Meindls are holding strong. Just my personal experience.
I’ve had the same experience with lowa. They fit well but the stitching sucked and the customer service was far from top notch for me

Meindl's have been my goto for cold weather mountain hunts and late season sodak pheasant hunts. Mine are pushing 10 years old and still have lots of life. Probably have a few thousand miles on them. I did replace the insoles. They are much more comfortable than my crispis, both in the generous toe box and the cushioning of the sole.

I bought a pair of Meindls from Cabelas in 2011 or so. Still have them, although they're getting a little rough. In fairness, I could have done better with keeping them oiled. They've been an awesome boot. I've debated going with other companies like Kennetrek, but I'll probably stay with the meindls.

I thought you were talking about bargain boots but those Meindls are like $350. Find a sale and Schnees and never look back, timberlines are not very stiff but just stiff enough in my opinion. I also have the beartooths and if I'm going to be sidehilling a lot or in loose rocks I do prefer them but they aren't as comfortable on my feet. Come in widths also.

I have Meindls very similar to the Vakkums. Bought from Cabalas quite awhile ago.
When I need another pair I will buy the Vakkums as mine are no longer sold by Cabelas as far as I know. I like mine. No issues. But I cant say I am rough on boots other than being too heavy (fat). They are comfortable and easy to get on and off.
I hit them with obenoffs every year and they are holding up. I want to say these are over 7 years old.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back