Non hunter interaction

COEngineer

I work with a young lady (20s, engineer) that has never lived outside of San Francisco. I was amazed to hear that she was interested in going hunting. Not only that, but she had no interest in eating the meat...that part she figured would gross her out. She is just sick of the city life and really wants to experience life. I thought it was worth sharing because I often hear that city types are skeptical about hunters and only tolerate meat hunters, so I never thought I would meet one interested in the thrill of the hunt.

Doesn't make sense to me. She wants to go hunting and maybe kill something but doesn't want to eat it?

Funny you mention this. My sister lives in Los Angeles. Every year we send her and her husband about 40-50lbs of meat (elk or antelope). I think there is a fad going on and people are starting to realize that wild game is (arguably) a preferable form of meat. Maybe? Who knows...

Doesn't make sense to me. She wants to go hunting and maybe kill something but doesn't want to eat it?

I hear ya. Blew me away. I don't think she has put a lot of thought into the whole thing and I think she would eat whatever it was when all said and done, but the chances that she will ever follow through and actually go hunting are pretty small, I think. I don't live in CA, so I will almost certainly not be the one to take her, if she pursues it at all.

Hopefully someone who enjoys hunting will take her up on this and get her out. Fix her a nice dinner of deer steak some evening to complete the journey. Hopefully she will like it as much as the rest of us do and we would then have another member joining us!

Funny you mention this. My sister lives in Los Angeles. Every year we send her and her husband about 40-50lbs of meat (elk or antelope). I think there is a fad going on and people are starting to realize that wild game is (arguably) a preferable form of meat. Maybe? Who knows...

I think its the Millenials. I think that their Locovore Organic foods thing naturally leads them to it.

I don't know if I could get over my skepticism. I mean I'm willing to take people out, especially first timers. It would be cool to hear the story if you do end up taking her out. I read an article, I think it was in Outsider, a yuppie kinda outdoors mag, about a left leaning guy on his first hunting trip ever chasing antelope. It was interesting to hear his take on it. He even got it mounted and put it up in his apartment.

This is the truth, millenials are a funny bunch. They wear skinny jeans and have discovered non-GMO, gluten-free, humanely-harvested, and very tasty wild game meat...

I work with several "millenials" that are not hunters, generally do not like hunting, but are more than happy to indulge in wild game summer sausage, salami, etc., when I bring treats into the office. They don't care so much about the ethical quandaries of hunting. The big deal to all of them seems to be the number of people in the woods with guns during the fall. They want to go hiking/climbing/biking without having to hear to gunshots or see orange.

As a younger person, ya'll are making some bold lump statements about millennials! However, growing up in rural North Carolina and in school for ag, myself and my friends are definitely in the minority as a whole. I think they have done a good job of explaining the millennials headed to hunting with the MeatEater podcast and with their few employees that were non-hunters. I hope it helps sustain hunting and they realize the dire straits our lands may be in with the current political scene. Good luck to your 20 something coworker on getting to try it!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back