New Scope for Muzzleloader

JDH

I'm looking to put a new scope on my muzzleloader and had a few questions and I'm sure some here know way more than me. I had a an older Nikon 3-9 BDC and I think it finally bit the dust. I'm getting really crappy groups and when I adjust it doesn't track right at all.
I'm not interested in shooting over 200 yards with it and I don't really use it that much so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and spend a little more just for durability purposes? I only shoot 80-90 gr with a 250 gr sabot. I know what it feels like, but what kind of force does a MZ have vs some other common rifles like a 308? I thought about Vortex, but if the recoil is high I would be willing to look into something better. Is it worth looking for a "muzzleloader" specific scope or are they typically just different reticles on the same scope body? The Leupold VX Freedom Ultimate Slam says it's a MZ scope so I'm thinking that's an option.
Anybody have experience with Zeiss scopes? I found a place where I can get a Zeiss Conquest V4 30mm Tube 3-12x44mm out the door for $500. Seems a bit overkill for MZ hunting, but seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Thoughts?

I'm looking to put a new scope on my muzzleloader and had a few questions and I'm sure some here know way more than me. I had a an older Nikon 3-9 BDC and I think it finally bit the dust. I'm getting really crappy groups and when I adjust it doesn't track right at all.
I'm not interested in shooting over 200 yards with it and I don't really use it that much so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and spend a little more just for durability purposes? I only shoot 80-90 gr with a 250 gr sabot. I know what it feels like, but what kind of force does a MZ have vs some other common rifles like a 308? I thought about Vortex, but if the recoil is high I would be willing to look into something better. Is it worth looking for a "muzzleloader" specific scope or are they typically just different reticles on the same scope body? The Leupold VX Freedom Ultimate Slam says it's a MZ scope so I'm thinking that's an option.
Anybody have experience with Zeiss scopes? I found a place where I can get a Zeiss Conquest V4 30mm Tube 3-12x44mm out the door for $500. Seems a bit overkill for MZ hunting, but seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Thoughts?

I just went through this and after growing tired of the inaccuracy and busyness of BDC reticles, I made the switch to a Leupold CDS. Ended up with a VX3. CDS is way better for a muzzy than BDC.

Message Schmalts for best price.

I just went through this and after growing tired of the inaccuracy and busyness of BDC reticles, I made the switch to a Leupold CDS. Ended up with a VX3. CDS is way better for a muzzy than BDC.

Message Schmalts for best price.
How does a custom dial work with a MZ? Did you have to chrono your load?

I put the Zeiss you mentioned on a 7 mm mag recently (the conquest V4 3-12 x44). I’ve been quite pleased with it. It tracks well, the dials have a very nice and tactile click to them and it’s held zero without any issues so far.

It’s up for its first hunting season this fall, so I can’t speak for the long term durability of it. But, based on my experience so far and the reviews I’ve read, I don’t expect any issues from it at all.

It probably is overkill for a muzzleloader you don’t use a ton and if you’re only interested in reaching out to 200 yds. But, if I could’ve gotten it for $500 out the door, I think I would’ve bought 3 😃.

Reactions: JDH
I was finding more long shot opportunities when Muzzy hunting so bought an older (pre-cheaper "freedom" series) Leupold ultimate slam MZ scope to swap onto it last year.

I have faith Leupold will deal with a reticle issue should you ever have one.

Before the OP drops his scope though I'd be sure everything is tight, from the rings to mounts to all the screws. My take is more of those sudden inaccuracy problems are due to those having an issue than decent scopes.

I like the japan vintage Nikon scopes a lot but have heard more issues with them since they moved production to other places.

Leupold Freedom muzzleloader scope with SABR reticle for me on my CVA.

I'm quite happy with results out to 200 accuracy wise, using the reticle slightly tweaked based on my results at the range.

Reactions: JDH
I think the Leupold VX-5s are awesome for muzzleloaders. I really like the 2-10 for muzzleloader but personally went with the 3-15 for the windplex. I now have this scope on two of my muzzleloader and will be getting the 2-10 for my 50 cal.

@JDH,

I put a Crimson Trace Hardline 3-9X40 with the MOA reticle on my inline.

Great glass!!

Ability to just use the reticle makes things fast and easy.

I was finding more long shot opportunities when Muzzy hunting so bought an older (pre-cheaper "freedom" series) Leupold ultimate slam MZ scope to swap onto it last year.

I have faith Leupold will deal with a reticle issue should you ever have one.

Before the OP drops his scope though I'd be sure everything is tight, from the rings to mounts to all the screws. My take is more of those sudden inaccuracy problems are due to those having an issue than decent scopes.

I like the japan vintage Nikon scopes a lot but have heard more issues with them since they moved production to other places.
I didn't take the scope off yet but pulled and pushed every which way and didn't notice anything amiss. I even checked the fore stock screw.

Leupold Freedom muzzleloader scope with SABR reticle for me on my CVA.

I'm quite happy with results out to 200 accuracy wise, using the reticle slightly tweaked based on my results at the range.
I'll be hunting the western side of your state in Sept. That's the only reason I would even be worried about shooting 200 yards.

Loop 1.5-5x VX3 here. where I hunt shots are generally pretty close. Last year was less than 30 yards.

If I were going to try out to 200 yards with a muzzy, I'd probably go 2.5-8x with a ballistic turret. I've found that Deer just don't need all that much magnification to those distances.

I decided to move forward with the Leupold Ultimate Slam MZ scope. While the Zeiss was a good deal, it was just too much scope for this application.

I decided to move forward with the Leupold Ultimate Slam MZ scope. While the Zeiss was a good deal, it was just too much scope for this application.
That's what I have on mine. It's nice.

Back