Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Big Game/Yote Scope?

Hammsolo

Hey All, I have a Tikka T3x Wideland Veil 6.5 cm that is all tuned up. I adore this rifle, but don’t adore the scope. It shoots Hammers through a quarter at 100 all day long. When I assembled the rifle I found a good deal on a Vortex Viper HST. It has the BDC reticle and I liked its ease, and price. However, now that I’ve put a Leupold VX5 on my elk rifle the difference is clear.

However, I now have a higher budget and hunting stuff I need to sell that will help cover the cost of a new scope.

I want a scope for under 2k that is crystal clear, and with a low zoom of 4 or under. I want the high zoom to be at least 18. I love the forest on my Leupold. I want it to be reasonably light for packing. A great warranty is obvious. Finally, the reticle… I want the Forest and BDC to have a baby; dialable precision, but also quick for rushed shots.

I’m currently looking at Maven and Leupold. I’m cheap and want to get the best scope for the best price.

Last edited:
sfp or ffp?

I lean so I don’t have to be at max magnification to use the marks. That’s a downfall of my Viper. I don’t always like shooting at max magnification.

What are your thoughts?

I have a Swarovski 3.5x18 with the ballisitic turret on my Seekins in 6.5 and I love the scope. Light and crystal clear. There are a few choices for reticle. I chose the 4W as it is simple but has 2 moa windage hash/hold marks.

SFP, I really like the Leica Amplus 3-18.

FFP gets a little tougher but the Maven, Trijicon Tenmile, and Leica all have the same turret construction so the differences will be in the glass and eyepiece. The Trijicons I’ve used have good glass but I felt like they lacked in color and contrast.

Is the Leupold 4.5-18 too high on the low end?

SFP, I really like the Leica Amplus 3-18.

FFP gets a little tougher but the Maven, Trijicon Tenmile, and Leica all have the same turret construction so the differences will be in the glass and eyepiece. The Trijicons I’ve used have good glass but I felt like they lacked in color and contrast.

Is the Leupold 4.5-18 too high on the low end?
No, under 5 is the priority. Why do you guys lean ffp or sfp?

Maven RS1.2...MOA is generally available but if you want MILs that is tough. I've been eyeing one for awhile but keep wasting my money on other "deals" that may not be as good. Try getting into guidefitter and you can get them for $900.

Trijicon TenMile 3-18...sometimes on sale via DVOR for less than $1000 but often closer to $1200

Why do you guys lean ffp or sfp?
Honestly if you have a scope that dials reliably then the advantages of using reticles to calculate drop are less important. Reticles are often easier to see at low magnification in SPF so with FFP I want illumination option. For wind calls, FFP will help keep shot calculations a bit more accurate but practicing in wind is better than relying on reticles.

I'm leaning toward FFP because if I'm zeroed and need to add elevation I can just use the appropriate hash mark and make the shot without making extra movements with my dial or taking my eye off the target.

The MOA vs MIL is still very user subjective so go with whatever you prefer.

I'm putting an Athlon Ares ETR through the paces and am finding it's too heavy for a hunting setup so the Maven might be the replacement at almost 10oz lighter.

Ol’ JLS just bought the Maven 1.2 mentioned multiple times above, and I’m going to get to play with it and shoot it. I’ll update when I get to mess with it.

Last edited:
It comes up a little short on the top end Power you want but the Trijicon credo 2.5-15x42 is a solid scope and is one of my favorite calling scopes

No, under 5 is the priority. Why do you guys lean ffp or sfp?

I have FFP because I use the reticle and want the angular dimensions to be correct regardless of the scope's magnification setting. I find i want the scope below 10x most of the time when shooting 3-500 yards under time stress so SFP scopes usually don't play nice there.

That Maven RS1.2 is a nice scope, for features, function, glass its probably my favorite option right now but it isn't particularly light. I might pull mine off my primary hunting rifle and swap in the lighter 3-9 SWFA for hunts where weight is important this fall.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyL
Back