Need a high quality spincast reel.

Hertervillian

My adult daughter has requested a new spincast outfit. She has spinning setup, but wants simplicity. What’s out there that is above Zebco 33 level in terms of casting and retrieval speed.

My adult daughter has requested a new spincast outfit. She has spinning setup, but wants simplicity. What’s out there that is above Zebco 33 level in terms of casting and retrieval speed.
How old is she? Old enough to stick with a spinning reel instead of a spincast?

Even a decent quality spinning reel with braid is better than any spincast I've ever used. Granted my spincast experience is limited to kids reels.

I’m pretty familiar with spinning reels and their superiority to spincast. She already has a pretty decent Pflueger President reel, that I gave her 10 years ago.

She wants a spincast, why? I don’t know, probably my grandson telling her she’s limiting herself. Like as not she has horribly twisted line and it all dumps off the spool while casting.

The question remains, is there a better than average choice?

Daiwa GC series reels there’s 3 sizes

Zebco bullet. Very nice but kinda heavy.

My dad uses the daiwa gc 120 on silver salmon in Alaska every year. He can’t fish a spinning reel worth a piss. He’s yet to wear it out and we’ve been going 6 years in a row.

Daiwa GC series reels there’s 3 sizes

Zebco bullet. Very nice but kinda heavy.

My dad uses the daiwa gc 120 on silver salmon in Alaska every year. He can’t fish a spinning reel worth a piss. He’s yet to wear it out and we’ve been going 6 years in a row.
I was able to hold what I assume is the big Bullet. Feels like a decent reel ought to. There was a smaller one there too. Thanks for mentioning them, none of the Daiwa there.

My wife is a Zebco 33 girl and I wanted to graduate her to “better” rig. Got her the Zebco Bullet and couldn’t be more impressed with it. Really is awesome and worth the money. Hard to quantify how big of a step up it is from the Zebco 33.

My wife is a Zebco 33 girl and I wanted to graduate her to “better” rig. Got her the Zebco Bullet and couldn’t be more impressed with it. Really is awesome and worth the money. Hard to quantify how big of a step up it is from the Zebco 33.
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! It really felt smooth, but that doesn’t tell you about retrieval speed, or casting. Zebco does a pretty good job at what they do, kinda like Briggs & Stratton, but expecting Abu Garcia or Honda is a stretch, without hands on experience.
Thanks for your time and sharing your experience.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! It really felt smooth, but that doesn’t tell you about retrieval speed, or casting. Zebco does a pretty good job at what they do, kinda like Briggs & Stratton, but expecting Abu Garcia or Honda is a stretch, without hands on experience.
Thanks for your time and sharing your experience.
Happy to help! Don’t be tempted to save money and get the Zebco Omega instead of the Bullet. The Omega is much better than the 33 but the Bullet is another step above the Omega.

I put my wife’s Zebco Bullet on an Ugly Stick Carbon Casting Rod and I’m embarrassed to admit how much I use it when she’s not around. It pulls in 30in of line per crank so I’ve never found the retrieval speed to be lacking. I tend to need to slow down anyway.

We took it on a guided walleye trip and the guide had Flueger reels on St. Croix rods and her setup fished every bit as nice and she was more comfortable with her setup so she fished better.

Happy to help! Don’t be tempted to save money and get the Zebco Omega instead of the Bullet. The Omega is much better than the 33 but the Bullet is another step above the Omega.

I put my wife’s Zebco Bullet on an Ugly Stick Carbon Casting Rod and I’m embarrassed to admit how much I use it when she’s not around. It pulls in 30in of line per crank so I’ve never found the retrieval speed to be lacking. I tend to need to slow down anyway.

We took it on a guided walleye trip and the guide had Flueger reels on St. Croix rods and her setup fished every bit as nice and she was more comfortable with her setup so she fished better.
I fish one on our trout streams and they’re brushy. I can make deadly accurate casts with boring regularity. It is a difference maker for me. That being said I’m stupid and will risk life and limb for a $4 mepps or panther martin that is snagged up on occasion.😂

Went with the Bullet size 20. Glad I asked because I had no idea that reel even existed. Thing feels like a solid piece of gear.

Back