Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Public lands map (bully pulpit)

It is a great map and I use it quite often, but there are still areas where the landownership isn't accurate so I'd recommend to everyone to check against FS or BLM maps against it before they head out.

I recommend the Sportsman's Atlas to everyone I know who asks about hunting maps. Much like other GPS maps, they use the MT cadastral database to show public and private which is good. The only thing lacking is ownership names, but you can just go out to http://gis.mt.gov to find that out.

My GPS is an ancient Garmin Etrek that provides nothing but lat/lon and elevation, and the funds won't exist for quite a while for me to buy a newer model. One of the great things about the Sportsman's Atlas is when it is used on a smartphone, it has a location tool, so as long as you've got cell service(which I know may not be that often in MT), you've got a free GPS with detailed base maps and parcel ownership.

It is a great map and I use it quite often, but there are still areas where the landownership isn't accurate so I'd recommend to everyone to check against FS or BLM maps against it before they head out.

Is it just because of the coarseness of the overlay, or are there some big errors? Not sure how they could be the latter given they use the cadastral info.

Is it just because of the coarseness of the overlay, or are there some big errors?

I have found a few errors as well. Overlay precision will always be an issue, but as long as you always give yourself a buffer when it comes to parcel boundaries, you will be OK almost all the time.

I have worked on the data creation side of a few GIS databases. Whether it be transportation, cadastral, or hydrology, it doesn't matter. There will always be errors. When it comes to parcel data, the only really accurate sources are certificates of survey. Even the State's cadastral website, which is where HuntingGPS maps and most other landownership services gather their data, comes with a disclaimer right on the main website.

Plenty of full sections, I had told Ben about it last year as well, but the southern half of the Crazies definitely doesn't match cadastral or my FS and BLM maps: http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

Thanks for the heads up - still a great resource but I'll double check with MT Cadastral. Come to think of it, I remember finding a discrepency between the FS map and the MT cadastral site on some state land west of beartrap canyon (Madison). I guess we have to be careful - I'm not sure what the definitive source is!

Gang,

keep the comments coming. I'm sending these on to our GIS guy. We generally have been able to afford one major update a year (The program is hosted by Hellgate Hunters & Anglers in Missoula). This year we were able to add the basic updates, pronghorn districts & block management layers. That takes over $5K out of our budget but we're committed to keeping this going.

We've been getting somewhere around 3,000 hits per month during archery & rifle season. Thanks to you guys, it continues to get better!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeoregonhunter
Back