Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MN Deer Farmers fighting laws designed to help control CWD in state

Bonasababy

No surprise, and I can say with absolute conviction--the only reason these laws were passed was that democrats took control of both houses of the state legislature and the governorship.

Republicans FOUGHT ANY regulation in this state bitterly. They even tried to get a law passed to pay deer farmers money from state coffers--at the same time hunters have footed the large share of millions of dollars of costs to control CWD in the state.

As much as I dislike giving the government more control, this was one area that needed to change. The deer "farmers" have always had one heck of a political lobbying prowess, and it's directly caused the spread of CWD in Minnesota. Nearly every single large outbreak here can be traced directly back to a "farm".

I don't blame them for fighting for their business, I'd be doing the same thing in their shoes if some regulation threatened my own farm.

No surprise, and I can say with absolute conviction--the only reason these laws were passed was that democrats took control of both houses of the state legislature and the governorship.

Republicans FOUGHT ANY regulation in this state bitterly. They even tried to get a law passed to pay deer farmers money from state coffers--at the same time hunters have footed the large share of millions of dollars of costs to control CWD in the state.
Couldnt read the article.

But im unfortunately not suprised. The ag industry, their cronies, and priorities put wildlife last. Living on the government while chastising government.

Couldnt read the article.

But im unfortunately not suprised. The ag industry, their cronies, and priorities put wildlife last. Living on the government while chastising government.
Sorry about that. I'll give a summary rather than copy verbatim.

Last year our legislature enacted some laws addressing management of captive cervid farms in the state. A moratorium preventing any new farms from being licensed in the state, strict and limited transfer of ownership of existing operations, handing the determination of adequate fencing at such facilities (required to be allowed to operate) to MN DNR, strong restrictions on importation of captive deer from other states, and transferred control over deer farms from the state ag agency--which did NOT come out looking as being competent in regulation in an audit--to MN DNR, the people responsible for game and fish management in the state.

The deer farm organization balked at a number of things (a spokesman for them actually said this in an article last year when asked about being required to erect and maintain adequate fences to insure separation of wild and captive deer "how can you seriously expect a herd owner to invest in a new fence when the business has no future? If an agency wants better fencing around deer herds, they should pay for it. Keep your wild deer away from us. We'll put up a fence if they pay for it."

The recent lawsuit that a judge tossed out had to do with the new ownership transfer requirements. Judge said "“Plaintiffs argue that the statute is not rationally related to the prohibition of new white-tail deer registrations because the ‘evil’ state seeks to control is CWD, not white-tail deer farmers,” Tunheim wrote in his decision. “However, the Minnesota Legislature passed the statute to prevent the spread of CWD, not to eliminate the white-tail deer farming profession. The eventual elimination of white-tail deer farming in Minnesota, while unfortunate, is incidental.”

Deer farmers plan to appeal.

Sorry about that. I'll give a summary rather than copy verbatim.

Last year our legislature enacted some laws addressing management of captive cervid farms in the state. A moratorium preventing any new farms from being licensed in the state, strict and limited transfer of ownership of existing operations, handing the determination of adequate fencing at such facilities (required to be allowed to operate) to MN DNR, strong restrictions on importation of captive deer from other states, and transferred control over deer farms from the state ag agency--which did NOT come out looking as being competent in regulation in an audit--to MN DNR, the people responsible for game and fish management in the state.

The deer farm organization balked at a number of things (a spokesman for them actually said this in an article last year when asked about being required to erect and maintain adequate fences to insure separation of wild and captive deer "how can you seriously expect a herd owner to invest in a new fence when the business has no future? If an agency wants better fencing around deer herds, they should pay for it. Keep your wild deer away from us. We'll put up a fence if they pay for it."

The recent lawsuit that a judge tossed out had to do with the new ownership transfer requirements. Judge said "“Plaintiffs argue that the statute is not rationally related to the prohibition of new white-tail deer registrations because the ‘evil’ state seeks to control is CWD, not white-tail deer farmers,” Tunheim wrote in his decision. “However, the Minnesota Legislature passed the statute to prevent the spread of CWD, not to eliminate the white-tail deer farming profession. The eventual elimination of white-tail deer farming in Minnesota, while unfortunate, is incidental.”

Deer farmers plan to appeal.
Wow... build your own fences. Uncle sam paying for stuff has spoiled that child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back