HB 142-Restore Dingell-Johnson fish restoration funding

HB 150-Provide one free wolf license with game animal license

Jan. 22
HB 29-Allow trapping of mountain lions

HB 144-Allow hounds for hunting bears

Jan. 24th
HB 147-Revise Trespassing laws

HB 161-Increase the number of non-resident tags

The lighted nock bill has been, and being debated.

HB 136 makes it so a non resident youth can purchase a combo license with a Montana resident sponsor who will accompany the kid while hunting. It makes it so the adult doesn't need a hunting license.

HB 62 makes it so you have to use barbless hooks in catch and release waters.

SB 118 makes it so old whinny dudes that haven't drawn a sheep, or goat tag get special treatment.

HB 27 self explanatory

HB 142 self explanatory

HB 150 self explanatory

HB 29 self explanatory

HB 147 makes the fine for trespass a min. of $500 and loss of recreational opportunities on state lands, for at least 3 years.

My favorite for this group:

HB 161 Increase NR tags by 10,000 good for wilderness areas only. Bump the B-10's from 17,000 to 20,000. Then go from 4600 B-11 deer combo's to 9500 B-11 Combo's

They didn't sell NR tags out his year. There's less game than what the sales can handle anyway. This bill is the top of my chit list.

Last edited:
HB 62--Barbless Bill.....public policy or science based? Anyone know?

Why on earth does this belong in the legislature? It's hard to believe barbless hooks are not required in a catch and release fishery. Has FWP refused to address this at the commission level (where it belongs)?

The Commission does not have the statutory authority to create C&R waters. This bill seeks to give them that authority. The way it is currently worded, it would require all C&R waters to be barbless or crimped.

Why on earth does this belong in the legislature? It's hard to believe barbless hooks are not required in a catch and release fishery. Has FWP refused to address this at the commission level (where it belongs)?

My understanding is that the River guides are against it because wardens in Idaho went on a ticket writing frenzy there. Upsetting the clients that hire guides.

I've understand that the "cotton ball" test starts being implemented when the move to barbless begins. Thanks but no thanks. Yet to see any science that proves barbless is better.

ridge -runner I'm not aware of the wording of the bill or if MT.did independent studies but if your question is are there scientific studies that support the fact that the livability of released fish is higher with barbless hooks the answer is yes.I read a report awhile back that brown trout here in Ark. had a 40% to 60% higher survival rate with barbless Vs. barbed.The report explained that the gap was due to the fact that larger fish benefit more because they are more susceptible to the stress of being landed. I will look for a link to the report.

I've understand that the "cotton ball" test starts being implemented when the move to barbless begins. Thanks but no thanks. Yet to see any science that proves barbless is better.

Best science I've seen for barbless or crimped was the #06 sculpin that embedded in my cheek with the barb still nice and tall.

Removing that streamer was painful. And that's science! :)

ridge -runner I'm not aware of the wording of the bill or if MT.did independent studies but if your question is are there scientific studies that support the fact that the livability of released fish is higher with barbless hooks the answer is yes.I read a report awhile back that brown trout here in Ark. had a 40% to 60% higher survival rate with barbless Vs. barbed.The report explained that the gap was due to the fact that larger fish benefit more because they are more susceptible to the stress of being landed. I will look for a link to the report.

Spook12 thanks,

I've only been able to find this report so thanks for the update. https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/Fis...d-Release Trout Fisheries--A Social Issue.pdf

Removing that streamer was painful. And that's science! :)

Barbless for self-preservation, both scientific and good for personal policy! It's a painful group to be a part of, and I think most of us are in it.

Last edited:

I spend a lot of time on barbless waters in WA and ID, and I've yet to see the cotton ball test.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d4b2WcmzIgUFu6AP6crTQ&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.cGE

Not telling you how to run your state, but I can't see the reason not to. There are lots of steelhead landed around here with barbless hooks.

My understanding is that the River guides are against it because wardens in Idaho went on a ticket writing frenzy there. Upsetting the clients that hire guides.

Maybe the clients and guides should pay more attention to their hooks. They probably went on a frenzy because it wasn't being taken care of in the boat on a consistent basis.

I spend a lot of time on barbless waters in WA and ID, and I've yet to see the cotton ball test.

I heard the "cotton ball" test in Wisconsin and Oregon, so that's nice to know it's not all around. If the science is there and survival rates are higher, then I see the point.

Last edited:
HB 147-Revise Trespassing laws

$$$ sure. If that stops people from hunting on private property - nore power to it.

If I understand correctly, crossing checker board corners is legal unless for hunting or fishing purposes? Do I have that correct?

Regardless, has there been any proposed bills to permit crossing checker board corners?

HB 62--Barbless Bill.....public policy or science based? Anyone know?

I haven't looked into this in a dozen years, but back then several studies showed (counter-intuitively) that barbed hooks did not increase mortality. However, they did increase the amount of scarring and superficial damage to the fish.

Here is one I googled up: https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/Fis...d-Release Trout Fisheries--A Social Issue.pdf and I don't see any other recent studies that indicate there are significant differences between barbless and barbed.[edit, sorry for the duplication, ridge-runner quoted the same study]

Last edited:
Back