Kenetrek Boots

Lab Issues

thomas89

Head spinning a bit today.

My 9 year old black lab female has been smashing the water lately. Laying around feeling kind of punky for the past couple weeks. We’ve been busy as a family and coupled with the heat kind of figured she was just a little bit in the “dog days” on top of being a bit anxious to begin with with all the comings and goings. No temp today and now she’s not very interested in eating, normally her favorite pastime.

Was able to sneak in to the vet this morning, ran blood work and found she’s hypercalcemic. All other blood work came back normal. She’s gained a bit of weight, although I’m not great about worrying about that, one of my 8 year olds favorite game involves running around with loads of biscuits and letting the dogs lick them out of her hands.

Vet seemed pretty nervous telling me that they need to send more bloodwork out Monday to narrow down what she was guessing was thyroid tumors. I’ve called my breeder and he’s unaware of any issues with the rest of her littermates. Her mother died at 11 from esophageal paralysis which I don’t think is really pertinent to the decision.

Preparing myself for the worst and perhaps I’m jumping the gun, but I’m at a loss here. Looks like IF surgery is an option, it’s $2500-$5000 depending on complexity. 9 isn’t terribly old in my book, but 10-12 is the average lifespan anyways. Chemo also appears to be an option, pretty low success rates coupled with the cost.

This is my first time dealing with a decision of this magnitude and was curious to hear others opinions.

Picture from her last hunt last fall. A triple on mallards from a drainage ditch.

IMG_4473.jpeg

Sorry to hear about that. If the disease could be managed with minimal pain for a few years, I would go that route at that age. It sucks but reality is 9 years old is not young. I would never give a dog chemo. Surgery is usually an absolute last resort too for cancer as theres no guarantees they will get it all. Lost a dog at 8 to cancer before, aunt lost hers at 6, neighbors dog at 5. Cost never really crosses my mind for the family dog, just quality vs quantity of life. Looked up hypercalcemia and it's quite complicated it seems. Thats a tough one I'd never heard of.

Benched my lab from hunting at 10 years old when his health started to go and he lived almost 2 more years. Biggest regret is not getting another dog that he could teach while he could still hunt. A generation of knowledge gone.

I’d pay a few k to get a few more years with mine. My yellow has cost me 1400 this year in ER bills due to a freak stick accident playing fetch

Sorry to hear about that. If the disease could be managed with minimal pain for a few years, I would go that route at that age. It sucks but reality is 9 years old is not young. I would never give a dog chemo. Surgery is usually an absolute last resort too for cancer as theres no guarantees they will get it all. Lost a dog at 8 to cancer before, aunt lost hers at 6, neighbors dog at 5. Cost never really crosses my mind for the family dog, just quality vs quantity of life. Looked up hypercalcemia and it's quite complicated it seems. Thats a tough one I'd never heard of.

Benched my lab from hunting at 10 years old when his health started to go and he lived almost 2 more years. Biggest regret is not getting another dog that he could teach while he could still hunt. A generation of knowledge gone.
If it comes down to it, I tend to lean in that direction of medication vs a surgical procedure. Had no clue it'd be an option, but it seems like there are quite a few people that have got more time just with pills. The bit of reading I've done on hypercalcemia definitely seems to be complicated.

I don't know that I regret not getting another lab for her to show the ropes to. This is certainly going to hurt the one kid who understands this.

I’d pay a few k to get a few more years with mine. My yellow has cost me 1400 this year in ER bills due to a freak stick accident playing fetch
No guarantees which is what makes it tough, or how hard the treatment could hit her. Hate to have her last bit of time miserable and sick from chemo because I'm being selfish and want more time. Those freak accidents sure get expensive quick. Give your doggo an extra pat on the head for me will ya?

If it comes down to it, I tend to lean in that direction of medication vs a surgical procedure. Had no clue it'd be an option, but it seems like there are quite a few people that have got more time just with pills. The bit of reading I've done on hypercalcemia definitely seems to be complicated.

I don't know that I regret not getting another lab for her to show the ropes to. This is certainly going to hurt the one kid who understands this.

No guarantees which is what makes it tough, or how hard the treatment could hit her. Hate to have her last bit of time miserable and sick from chemo because I'm being selfish and want more time. Those freak accidents sure get expensive quick. Give your doggo an extra pat on the head for me will ya?
She got some belly rubs and got spoiled by the kids dropping food.

I'll say a few things after dropping $10k in the past 2 months on my Chessie:

1. Only you can decide if you have the financial resources to proceed with the "best' course of action. It's a tough pill that frankly it comes down to that and it makes getting pet insurance seem more necessary. Make a good financial decision as well as one that is compassionate.

2. I do recommend a second dog. The older can help train the younger and it ears the pain when EOL happens. Nothing replaces the first companion, but it salves the wound some.

3. Second options from vets are worthwhile. None is infallible or necessarily up to date on research.

4. If your comfortable with it, look I to donation to science. I've done this with other dogs who've had cancers and liked knowing they were finding ways to prevent it with other pets.

I'll say a few things after dropping $10k in the past 2 months on my Chessie:

1. Only you can decide if you have the financial resources to proceed with the "best' course of action. It's a tough pill that frankly it comes down to that and it makes getting pet insurance seem more necessary. Make a good financial decision as well as one that is compassionate.

2. I do recommend a second dog. The older can help train the younger and it ears the pain when EOL happens. Nothing replaces the first companion, but it salves the wound some.

3. Second options from vets are worthwhile. None is infallible or necessarily up to date on research.

4. If your comfortable with it, look I to donation to science. I've done this with other dogs who've had cancers and liked knowing they were finding ways to prevent it with other pets.

I am mad at myself for thinking dollars and cents in this situation. Young dog, absolutely. Sadly I just am too pessimistic to hold out much hope for success at 9.

Got the wife’s dog still, he’ll be lonely a bit. I don’t know that I’m at a spot in my life where I can justify another duck dog, just don’t go as much as I did when I didn’t have other obligations.

I will see what they say at the this next appointment after test results. $200 today on tests, another $200 for them to mail it off to Michigan State Vet Lab. Do you know if other vets take those or part of a second opinion is ponying up for tests again?

I don’t know that I can donate her. Selfishly I’ve had a plan for her from her first year.

May very well have to get that pet insurance on the next one. Maybe ease a bit of the stress of it all.

So sorry to hear and hoping for the best

My wife’s 14 year old got a probable cancer diagnosis on a tumor on her lower leg a couple weeks ago. She still acts about like her normal 14 year old busted up self and the tumor is in a bad spot for removal due to how big the incision would need to be. We are more than likely just going to ride it out with her but darn that was some hard thoughts to have. We have invested thousands in her over the years for different things.

9 is a tough age to be having to be making long term decisions. I hope you get as much time as possible together. Labs are the best

Tough. It's what you sign up for when getting a dog. Been there. mtmuley

I know, I know. I tried so damn hard to keep her safe, always worried about her. Irritating for it to be potentially something totally out of my control.

I get it, it’s just a dog. There are a million other people dealing with more serious things than this, some on this site. Just venting or something I guess.

I know, I know. I tried so damn hard to keep her safe, always worried about her. Irritating for it to be potentially something totally out of my control.

I get it, it’s just a dog. There are a million other people dealing with more serious things than this, some on this site. Just venting or something I guess.
They aren’t just a dog and you posting about it shows you care

My home is going to be a broken mess for a while when we lose our old girl

Thomas89, it is never easy to deal with poor health of your hunting buddy. My 10 year old female lab will be having a new friend to deal with late fall, early winter. I would easily opt for medication and a good diet. None of us last forever. Therefore, enjoy what time you have with your pup.
ITS NEVER EASY LOOSING A GOOD DOG. I have had many and each has a place in my heart. MTG

I like my dogs more than 95% of the people I know, including family. They're more than just pets.

Had a similar conversation with our vet a few weeks ago about an abnormal growth on Greta's wrist. It was just inflamation from over-use, but still - in the moment the choice was clear - quality of life matters far more than longevity.

You are the only one that can answer this question. It isn't easy but this is the price we pay for their love and dedication (and utter, mindblowing stupidity). They give us everything up front so we can repay their love at the end. Do what's right for the dog, not for you. That's the deal we make.

I feel your pain. It sounds like you are gather the right information to make the right short and long term decisions that are fair for your dog. I give my dogs the best care possible, but you'll know when it's time to let them write their own story. My vet once told me that the end is similar to squeezing a lime; the juice flows well until your near maximum compression, but even though you can continue to squeeze harder for a few more drops out of the lime you'll know when it's time to stop squeezing and that it's best to leave a few drops in the slice of the lime. In other words, there's a point when a dog owner has to decide what is fair for the dog versus our own emotions. Do the best you can to do for your dog and try not to let emotions drive train.

There's a bright side to the story; their love continues to give long after their body has passed. I put two of my best hunting dogs down recently, 2021 and 2023. However, I have two of my sires (25) pups and dame #1 running around the house now and there's not a day that I don't think of my old dogs. I was told by many that my Labrador was a dog of a lifetime, then I was told my second dog, an English Setter, was the dog of a lifetime dog. Several times I have been told that you only get one exceptional dog of a lifetime, thankfully it's not true! The future is bright and my young kennel of dogs are already dogs of a lifetime!

Well quick update:

Test results show a freak benign tumor. One of the unlikely culprits. Thyroidectomy seems to be the only treatment, otherwise followed by kidney and other failure from what they were saying. Otherwise prognosis sounds good post-op.

Already got a quote. Got some follow-up questions in with the doctor. See what they say. Figure they took close to a week an a half to get me lab results, I should be in no rush to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back