Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ISO new front leaf springs for 1971 Dodge W200 4x4

Bill Zent

Old springs are flat, 1" from rubber stop. Where can I find replacements for a soft ride.

It is a ranch/hunting truck (Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton) and never hauls heavy loads so maybe a softer spring is available?

Old springs are flat, 1" from rubber stop. Where can I find replacements for a soft ride.

It is a ranch/hunting truck (Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton) and never hauls heavy loads so maybe a softer spring is available?
I had a set of custom double military wrap leaf springs made by Alcan for my old XJ. They did an awesome job, rode like a Cadillac and flexed like a 4 link with the Orbit Eyes in the rear bushing location.

I'd also contact Deaver, they are the kings of desert racing with leaf springs, and surprisingly those Dodges have a good history in that venue.

Both of them may have something that they would consider 'off the shelf' for your Dodge, if not they both make custom springs and are damn good at it. I'd contact both of them and compare what they have to offer. With my XJ they just wanted to know the total vehicle weight, weight on the front axle, weight on the rear axle, desired spring length and lift amount. It was a pretty easy process.

Last edited:
Getting the old girl road worthy again? It also depends on how much you want to spend. I would imagine the rears are in similar shape and a full set would be the best way to go. Any off-road joint would have them and I would guess a front set of springs with the lowest lift of about 1 1/2 inches would be around $200 per side. Google will be your best bet to find some.
Some guys have added a leaf to the existing set. Can't remember if you had any kind of truck repair place nearby that would be able to do that. For as old as your truck is and the limited amount you will drive it, adding a leaf may be just the boost it needs to ride better.

Had my Tacoma in the welding shop for rebend of rear leaf springs and the guy added a leaf. Back to original bend with an inch lift now.
Check local semi-trailer fixer.
McBrides in Alb. builds new rigs and fixes most any truck or trailer.

Stop by Orr's. They may have something that would work from a spring swap they've done.

Thank you for the responses! I am not good with this puter stuff so will have to make some phone calls in a week or so, more pressing issues to deal with this week.

Dave, if the place you mention is the one I think it is..........I have dealt with them in the past and I thought I made a mistake, and since then I know it was. But thanks just the same. Yep, got to fix the old reliable Tank up, not good on a bad back the way she is now. Mechanically perfect, 3400 hours on the bored 30 over 318, (rebuilt by me) 374,000 original miles. It will out last me.

So far with my 89' W100 I've put on Rancho shocks all the way around.
Just like with my old Toyota Hilux, they made a huge difference!

Now if I could find a bed support.
Got one rotted out.
I can find them all day long for Ford or Chevy. But not the old Dodge.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrestonThayne
Back