Caribou Gear Tarp

Insoles

KayakMacGyver

Update: Spenco RX Thin Lightweight Cushioning Insole were the winners for me. I did like the SOF sole alot, but unfortunately they were a little too thick for my hunting boots which I run true to size. I ended up putting them in my work boots, which are sized up, and they are perfect in those. Actually, they improved the overall fit of those boots as I had been dealing with slippage in the heel from upsizing.

I've tried several. Lathrop and Sons, Superfeet and Currex. Followed the process for determining what is supposed to fit my foot profile best and nothint has worked out.

Superfeet were the worst. Felt like I had rocks in the bottom of my shoes. Currex was similar. It's been about 5 years since trying the L&S, and I can't quite remember what I didn't like about them but may try them again based on my needs.

I find myself reverting to stock insoles in all cases. They are simple and flat. My feet like that.

Recently bought a pair of Salewha Ortles Edge Mid GTX and love the boot, HATE the stock insoles. They feel just like a pair of Superfeet.

All that to ask, can anyone recommend a basic insole that I could replace the ones in my new Salewhas with? A little cushion would be nice, but I don't want arch support or any other weird/ hard material that is going to feel like someone digging a knuckle into the bottom of my feet.

Last edited:
Timberland makes a nice "cushony" insole.
Not too expensive either. Can get them in farm supply stores, hardware stores and Amazon.

IMG_7256.png

My go to basic just padded insole. I use to actually bruise bottom of my feet and these are best I have found for simple padding.
Screenshot_20240809_125141_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I love Superfeet and use them in every shoe. No more pain in my cankles. That said, Spenco and Dr. Scholls have some squish and were also well reviewed by the folks at Gear Lab.
word for word.

Superfeet used to make a Merino wool topped insole. When they discontinued them I went to eBay and bought all I could find.

Ordered a pair of Sof Soles and Spenco. They appear to meet my needs. If those don't work I will give the Timberlands a try, since I was able to buy both pair of those for the price of the Timberlands.

Appreciate everyone's helpful reccomendations. I'll report back next week with a review.

Superfeet are my goto’s for most things but I’ve also had great success with SOLE insoles. The SOLE is heat moldable direct to the arch.

Personally, I don’t really need more cushion but I absolutely do need arch support (high arches) to avoid blisters.

I am a devotee of the Sole insoles. I like a pretty rigid insole, the cushioned ones don't provide enough support and protection.
Yeah, I used the regular Sole insoles for years in my military boots. Thought I would try the cork models out.
They make a good insole but like many insoles, we are paying $50-$60 for an item that cost $5 to make.

I like Sheepfeet and the superfeet hiker version but see if you can find someone that isn't going to use their Schnee's factory insoles, they are darn nice if you don't need the arch support.

If it’s a rather plain but good quality insole you’re looking for, check out the Redwing store. They last a good long time in a work boot, there are at least 2 profiles, and I’m pretty sure there are 3.

I updated my post with the results. Wore the spenco in my boots for a 200 flight of stairs "hike" and it was night and day improvement for me. Thanks @ccc23454 for that suggestion, as well as others who suggested good options.

I'll keep experimenting as I have hard to please feet and have a very hard time finding boots that fit me properly. Cork insoles and the poor man's sheep feet insoles are next on my list.

Thanks again for the help!

I've had flat feet all of my life so I've been through almost every insole product made, including custom orthotics. The custom orthotics work great for sports but hiking with a pack destroys them too quickly, and they're over $300 a pair. It doesn't matter how fit I am, if I hike >10 miles a day I get awful pain in my feet and lower legs. I frequently have enough fitness left to do another 10+ miles but it doesn't matter after I pass the ~10 miles mark and every step is awful pain in my feet and lower legs.

I need a lot of support to fight overpronation while also being very cushioning. I recently found a combination that can get me to 15 miles or so before the bad pain starts. Dr. Scholl's Ultra Thin gel insoles underneath Superfeet Hike Cushion insoles. If you've got enough volume in your boot to fit both, give it a try.

I've had flat feet all of my life so I've been through almost every insole product made, including custom orthotics. The custom orthotics work great for sports but hiking with a pack destroys them too quickly, and they're over $300 a pair. It doesn't matter how fit I am, if I hike >10 miles a day I get awful pain in my feet and lower legs. I frequently have enough fitness left to do another 10+ miles but it doesn't matter after I pass the ~10 miles mark and every step is awful pain in my feet and lower legs.

I need a lot of support to fight overpronation while also being very cushioning. I recently found a combination that can get me to 15 miles or so before the bad pain starts. Dr. Scholl's Ultra Thin gel insoles underneath Superfeet Hike Cushion insoles. If you've got enough volume in your boot to fit both, give it a try.
Ingenuity!!! 🥸

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back