NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Idaho Elk Unit 61 - late Muzzle Loader hunt - East or West side

Chromanz

Hey there
Drew the Idaho island park unit 61 late muzzle loader elk tag. This is an either sex elk tag. Start 11/11-12/9 End.
I’m looking to get advice on which area to focus on. East or West side of the Highway?
I’ve spent time fishing the creeks and driving the roads but never hunted the area. I live in idaho a few hours away. I saw elk on the road to Henry’s lake laying in someone’s yard a few months back before I drew the tag. That’s the only elk I’ve seen in that unit lol.
I’m hoping the snow can push the elk down from the higher grounds after the rut, or they stream out of the park after the snow? Get em all on private property and knock on 1 door, it could be that simple.
Hey I bet we find out!
I also drew a turkey tag and deer tag in Idaho, closer to my home base.
I’ll expect to purchase a wolf tag and have the appropriate ordnance for that situation.
Any tips or advice on this unit is appreciated. I hope to meet some new folks and make the memories of a lifetime hunting. That’s why I hunt, for the adventure and the chance to tame the great beast of the wild.

I’ve had great info and contacts on HT before.
Thank you HT

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 5
CVA Optima 50 Cal
I harvested a bull moose in 2021 in unit 60A with that weapon. I love that gun, it’s my go to short range weapon. I have the matching CVA pistol also, no kills with that…yet

i had that tag a few 5-7 years back,,be prepared for deep snow,i hunted both sides of the hwy and seen more moose than elk,,mainly remember a 4 foot+ drift pushed up by hwy dept when i got out to the main hwy,almost hood deep,,and had snowmobilers wondering how i was in there with my truck and camp trailer,,take chains for all 4,,either side of hwy could produce,,i didnt get one that trip/good luck

CVA Optima 50 Cal
I harvested a bull moose in 2021 in unit 60A with that weapon. I love that gun, it’s my go to short range weapon. I have the matching CVA pistol also, no kills with that…yet
Awesome.. So that means I could use a 209 primer ?

Awesome thanks .. that means I cud still use my bh209
No, that wouldn’t be the case because if you read the blackhorn label you need a 209 primer to ignite it. Musket caps are not recommended. You’ll need to use a different powder.

No, that wouldn’t be the case because if you read the blackhorn label you need a 209 primer to ignite it. Musket caps are not recommended. You’ll need to use a different powder.
Ya your right on that .. what about triple 7 then

I think the East side you'll have better odds, the elk on the west side migrate to the desert to st anthony, and there's not much public land on the valley floor to the border unit 60. I drew the late season rifle hunt last year in that unit

I also had that tag about 7 years ago. Only saw a few elk and they were all on the western side. That was a long time ago, though.

Back