Hunting by yourself

I am going to be hunting in WY by myself unless I can find a guide to come along. What’s the best way to learn to field dress an Elk and get it out by yourself?
Experience.

Only one way to get good at it. Doing it.
It’s just like a deer only bigger. Just take your time and enjoy it. Get it gutted and taken apart so it can cool down then start packin.

The last several elk that I have field dressed have been by the gutless method. Even doing it the first time, it was easier than the conventional way that I long used on deer, pronghorns, etc.

In fairly short order you can have the legs removed, making the rest of it much more manageable. I have taken an old bed sheet to lay all the quarters and meat on, so that it isn't in direct contact with the soil.

Good luck, hopefully you will have to figure out how to get an elk out.

I don't mean to be rude, but are you talking 2024? It's a little late to be looking for a guide to "come along" and join you.

Have you planned and prepared to go elk hunting with the right equipment etc..?

Like Elktrack says, "It's just like a deer only bigger." Waaaaaay bigger!!! To field dress an elk by yourself you'll need to figure out how to position one hind leg away from the body to give yourself enough room to start gutting it. As the elk stiffens it will be almost impossible by yourself. You're better off going the "Alaskan" or the guttless method by just removing the quarters, backstrap and tenderloins. Plan on several pack trips.

If it's snowing or if it's dark it will be even more challenging and dangerous.

Watch videos showing how to field dress an elk.

For gutless method - our first year my husband and I downloaded the youtube to our phones and winged it. We did pretty good! Getting the tenderloin took a bit of practice.

For getting it out yourself - first budget time for multiple hauls. Game stays pretty good when its hung so it's ok if it takes a few days. When we've had what I'll call logistical challenges we've always had a friend or 5 that are on our inreach 'speeddial' that offer to help haul in exchange for meat.

I am going to be hunting in WY by myself unless I can find a guide to come along. What’s the best way to learn to field dress an Elk and get it out by yourself?
The gutless video is extremely helpful. Watch it a bunch and you will be fine. I cut up my first two elk back to back on a mountain side (buddy and I both shot one out of a group at the same time).

They a big, but they are built like any other four-legged creature and cut-up just like one. I did find my paracord was super helpful in tying off the elk so it would stay and not slide on me.

Make sure you have game bags and break it down in manageable pieces and carry it out. Be realistic about what you can carry and carry that.

Also be realistic about how far you can pack one. For most people, a mile is a plenty long to take one out solo.

I’m sure you already know, but a good pack makes a world of difference so make sure you have a framed pack that fits you.

I
I can spill the guts in about 10 minutes. I like the heart, liver and tenderloins. Easy. Then peel the hide side to side as you remove quarters. Peel the neck and the rest of the trim. Backstrap last. Always have a small tarp or piece if tyvek. mtmuley
Don't take the liver, but I still take the heart semi gutless I guess you'd call it. Just split the ribs and remove the heart. Granted this is on deer but I'd imagine no different on elk.

No hate but you may want to reconsider going if you’re not prepared to quarter and pack an elk out on your own. It’s not worth the meat spoil or you getting in any legal trouble.

Join a conservation club and befriend some folks that can teach you the ropes.

I can spill the guts in about 10 minutes. I like the heart, liver and tenderloins. Easy. Then peel the hide side to side as you remove quarters. Peel the neck and the rest of the trim. Backstrap last. Always have a small tarp or piece if tyvek. mtmuley
I usually do gutless and pull all of those items out except the liver. Tenderloins are a simple cut to pull. The very last piece of meat is cutting a rib or two lose to reach the heart.

I usually do gutless and pull all of those items out except the liver. Tenderloins are a simple cut to pull. The very last piece of meat is cutting a rib or two lose to reach the heart.
In my mind I gain nothing from gutless. I am of an advanced age and gutted my first elk at 13 years old. Just how I do it. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calico kid
Back