Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

How to transport little outboard motor

Carl 9.3x62

My father in law gave us his old Tohatzu 8hp outboard motor. I have a small aluminum boat that it will go on, and I haul the boat in a open utility trailer. I'm wondering what the best way to transport the motor to and from the lake? It will be removed from the boat. Just toss it in the boat? In the back of the truck? Should I make a box for it? The fuel tank is separate from the motor, so it probably won't leak much fuel. What do you guys do?

I put 2 25hp mercury’s on a pallet, wrapped it in plastic wrap, stacked another pallet on top, put two rafts on top of that with empty gas cans and other supplies wrapped in plastic wrap and sent them from Galena Ak to Anchorage on air freight once. The pallet looked like the leaning tower of Pisa and The motors made it fine.

I’d leave your motor on the boat if at all possible. An 8 hp tohatsu weighs 81 pounds according to their website. Taking it on and off is not going to damage the motor but it will be extra work for you before and after a day on the water.

The problem is is that I lay the boat upside down in the trailer so it doesn't ruin the seems along the keel. Man I wouldn't guess this is 81 lbs...but maybe? It was purchased on 1996. Anyway, I'd like to just leave it on the boat, but I don't have a boat trailer. Sounds like just laying it on the side is fine?

Attachments

• 20240927_180641.jpg
    20240927_180641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
I have hauled them laying on the side on a tire with no wheel. Use a small enough tire that it won't fall inside it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back