How much freezer for a bull moose?

44hunter45

@Salmonchaser @Bambistew

We have large upright freezer but I hate it.
The door never seals right and it frosts up. I replaced the gasket once and had it professionally done another time.

I want to pick up a second chest freezer this year. How big do I need if I punch my moose tag?

Last edited:
I canned a bunch of mine when I started running out of freezer space. Best thing I ever did too. Even if I had freezer space I’d can a bunch again.

You know, I’d be willing to help you out though and store some of that moose in my freezer. I’ll even run down and pick it up from you. 😂

You can never have too much freezer space.

I have two upright freezers bought out of necessity... because we killed 2 moose one season. One is 18CF the other is 24CF. Two AK moose barely fit, and we had some other products spread around a few other small freezers and gave some away.

I measure capacity by boxes. I can fit 2 ~40-50lbs boxes side by side per shelf in each freezer. These small one can fit 8 boxes the large one 10. I can fit between 3-400lbs in the small one and 4-500 in the big one. AK moose net around 400-450lbs of cut/wrapped meat. It fill fill my large freezer.

This is my fish freezer (18cf)...

1725394286118.png

Last edited:
I haven't found our moose to be that much bigger than a mature bull elk, however none of said moose taken were say over mature animals.

You can never have too much freezer space.

I have two upright freezers bought out of necessity... because we killed 2 moose one season. One is 18CF the other is 24CF. Two AK moose barely fit, and we had some other products spread around a few other small freezers and gave some away.

I measure capacity by boxes. I can fit 2 ~40-50lbs boxes side by side per shelf in each freezer. These small one can fit 8 boxes the large one 10. I can fit between 3-400lbs in the small one and 4-500 in the big one. AK moose net around 400-450lbs of cut/wrapped meat. It fill fill my large freezer.

This is my fish freezer...

View attachment 339041
We are all already envious of your annual sheep hunts but now you have 2 boxes of polar bear! how come we’ve never heard the polar bear hunt stories?

15 + cubic feet stacked in a chest freezer. Another 10 or so if you organize it.
Packing it home in Ice chests you'll be close to 400 quarts of ice chest space.

I got 520 lbs of meat off of mine. Filled my upright. I think mine is a 19 or 20 cu ft. Gave about 40 lbs away too.

Good thing you got bigger. Mine was so full it took a couple days to freeze all the meat even with 2 inches of air space between the top of the meat and the next rack. A butcher might freeze it for you though.

If they don't, with a chest freezer I suggest layering that much meat with something in between for spacing. A few layers of corrugated cardboard maybe.

I got 520 lbs of meat off of mine. Filled my upright. I think mine is a 19 or 20 cu ft. Gave about 40 lbs away too.

Good thing you got bigger. Mine was so full it took a couple days to freeze all the meat even with 2 inches of air space between the top of the meat and the next rack. A butcher might freeze it for you though.

If they don't, with a chest freezer I suggest layering that much meat with something in between for spacing. A few layers of corrugated cardboard maybe.
The second freezer will give me the room I need to keep freezing as I cut and wrap. Once frozen solid it will go in the chest freezer.

I found a killer deal on a brand new Frigidaire 25 Cu. Ft. chest freezer. 50% off and 0% interest for a year. Gonna seal the deal tomorrow.
@44hunter45 That is a heck of a deal!! Lock and load on that one for sure. We all need those kinds of deals.
It's all in the fine print. Turns out you have to buy 6 to get the $500 rebate. Don't think I need 6.

Still buying at $999.00. $83/month 0% interest.

Last edited:
Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back