Guided Wyoming Horseback Elk Hunt Recommendation

jnagel32

Hello all! It's been a few years since I've been active on the forum and been out west hunting due to some life changes, which included a deployment, my wife going to nursing school, and buying the family farm. With that said, I am looking to reinvigorate my yearly western hunts. I am currently sitting on 10 elk points in Wyoming and I am looking for recommendations on who to book a guided horseback hunt with. This will be for the 2026 season, so I'll have 11 points by the time I need to apply. This will be a one time deal for me, due to it's expense and the amount of time it takes to build points. I enjoy DIY hunts and the planning aspect that goes along with doing it DIY, but riding horses into the mountains for an elk hunt has been a dream of mine since I was a young teenager. I have been on one DIY elk hunt in Montana a few years ago, which was unsuccessful but saw a ton of elk just no legal bulls. I have rode horses for a few years now as well, my wife used to barrel race and we own four, but I am no expert. Due it being a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, I am hoping you guys can recommend a great outfitter that I will have a memorable experience with and a great chance at harvesting a trophy bull. Who do you recommend?

Last edited:
Not sure if he is still doing it, but I think Bob Sundeen used to get good reviews on his operation. It is a fairly big camp so not sure if that is what you are looking for or not. I think you have enough points for that unit.

No personal experience with him, but there are several positive reviews posted around on forums. There will be grizzlies and it is probably a half day ride to get to the camp and then they ride out of camp most days.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrapperJ
Back