Kenetrek Boots

GOP Seeks to End Hunting, Approves Ryan's Plan to Sell Public Lands

JoseCuervo

Ahhhh.......yes, guess who just voted, again, today, to sell off My Public Lands to the highest bidder in order to reduce tax rates to big businesses.

Nobody wants to destroy our hunting and fishing heritage and opportunity more than the GOP and Paul Ryan.

WASHINGTON — The House approved along party lines a budget plan that would reach balance in 10 years by cutting taxes, repealing President Obama's health care law and cutting social programs in favor of the national defense.

"What this budget comes down to is a matter of trust," said House Budget Committee Paul Ryan, who authored the budget. Republicans put their trust in individual Americans while Democrats put more trust in government, he said. "Who knows better: the people or Washington? We have made our choice with this budget."

The conservative fiscal blueprint is the final resolution authored by Ryan, who is term-limited as Budget chairman. Like all of his previous efforts, it was approved on a party line vote, 219-205. Twelve Republicans voted against it, as did all House Democrats.

From the Ryan plan, passed today:

. Sales of unneeded federal assets

In the last year alone, Republicans put forth proposals to sell unneeded federal property. Representative Jason Chaffetz of Utah has proposed to sell millions of acres of unneeded federal land. Likewise, California Representative Jeff Denham’s bill to authorize the sale of billions of dollars’ worth of federal assets would save the government money, collect corresponding revenue, and remove economic distortions by reducing public ownership. Such sales could also potentially be encouraged by reducing appropriations to various agencies. If done correctly, taxpayers could recoup billions of dollars from selling unused government property

And, in case you were wondering what is in the Chaffetz law:

Disposal of Excess Federal Lands Act of 2013 (H.R. 2657) from Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) would mandate that public lands Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming to be sold off to the highest bidder.

And what does Mr. Denham propose?

. “The Civilian Property Realignment Act is designed to reshape the way this country manages the federal real estate footprint,” said Rep. Denham. “It creates a civilian BRAC commission to identify and eliminate billions of dollars of waste generated through mismanagement, over building and an overreliance on leases, which add unnecessary costs. A successful implementation of CPRA would save us upwards of $15 billion.”

Rep. Denham introduced CPRA as the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management in the 112th Congress.

The legislation encompasses five key principles for reforming the property management process, including: working to maximize return to the taxpayer, maximizing space utilization, reducing the reliance on costly leasing, creating value in underperforming assets and improving the overall management and controls related to federal properties.

I propose that the voters "manage" these jackasses right out of the seats they hold in Congress!!! Thanks for posting this horse manure Jose!

The pressure to sell federal land will not stop. I am not saying its right, its just a fact.

Should most of it be saved, ABSOLUTELY. Do the feds still own too much, probably.

I think the reality is when property is owned and not used by the majority of folks, someone will always favor selling it. Its sort of like taxes, everyone supports a tax that does not affect them.

Not to highjack the thread, but my opinion is that making it more difficult for non residents to hunt only increases the problem long term. The fewer people who use the resource simply reduces the number of non residents who will call their congressman and encourage them to fight the fight and not sell federal land.

Not to highjack the thread, but my opinion is that making it more difficult for non residents to hunt only increases the problem long term. The fewer people who use the resource simply reduces the number of non residents who will call their congressman and encourage them to fight the fight and not sell federal land.

There is plenty of non-hunting people out here using Jose's Public Lands that should be speaking up as well.

Last edited:

And that's a fact, Jack. Another consequence of laying the leather to non-residents when it comes to pricing non-resident hunting opportunity.

And that's a fact, Jack. Another consequence of laying the leather to non-residents when it comes to pricing non-resident hunting opportunity.

I would echo the same thing. It may not be obvious to people living west of the mississippi, but I would argue that a big chunk of hunters east of the river don't see the same value on public lands, because in alot of cases the hunting on them is not very good, and is seen as a last resort to those who can't get access to private. The more people we can get to see their value the larger group we will have to support their continued existance.

I will be honest, up until about 2005, public land was only really good for grouse hunting. Then I went elk hunting in CO for the first time, and my view changed 180. This has also opened my eyes to how to better hunt public land around home.

If you really think about it, it's not hard to see that the majority of folks would see this as a positive thing.

Many of the eco-elite type folks would gladly have the government sell off a bunch of BLM land that has cows on it that is earning $1.1 million over 20 years and the government is spending $900k+ to simply evict the guy off of it.

The part that folks won't really think through is that most of the management practices and expenses incurred by BLM and FS are going to still be there, they will just be working with the folks managing private land instead of working with folks operating on public land for a very small useage fee.

The eco-elite types would gladly trade a few million acres of rangeland that currently has livestock grazing it, oil leases, etc. to get a few more million acres designated as wilderness areas or better yet, some more national parks.

The only people that will really be affected by most of this would be the welfare ranchers and hunters and fishermen. And only hunters in western states, hunters in the midwest and east aren't going to care.

Not saying I agree with this at all, I can just see why it could actually appeal to a lot of folks.

Jose,

Great to see you back and have not grown less outspoken about your public lands. This place is more fun when you are around and there are many new guys who have been able to enjoy your own unique brand of pot stirring when political season comes around.

Good to see you.

Nemont

Welcome back, JC! :)

Of all the craptaculars of last election, I was leaning heavily for Santorum... Until that speech he made in Idaho. Privatize OUR land.( ..I.. ) That right there schnit canned him to the curb!

Heh, come to think about it, I believe I first learned of it from you, JC!

If the interest in this issue by the Eastern 60% of the country seems a bit luke warm, this might help put it in perspective.

Attachments

• Fed land % of State area.jpg
    Fed land % of State area.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 498
Great thread. Lots of interesting ideas. I read, several years ago, that 90 percent of elk live at least part of their lives on public land. Anyone know if this is still the case?

The pressure to sell federal land will not stop. I am not saying its right, its just a fact.

Should most of it be saved, ABSOLUTELY. Do the feds still own too much, probably.

I think the reality is when property is owned and not used by the majority of folks, someone will always favor selling it. Its sort of like taxes, everyone supports a tax that does not affect them.

The "feds" don't own that land... WE do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back