Caribou Gear Tarp

Go to roast recipe

Sask hunter

I have a collection of roast I’m trying to work through. Any different suggestions then a good old roast. Mainly all hind quarter roasts. Trying to use them as roasts before they hit the grinder and become burger sausage

We eat lots of moose roasts, and I prefer them to steaks.

My go to is, heavily coat a room temp roast with kosher salt, slather a room temp herb'ed butter and cracked pepper

cook in oven at 500 degrees until internal temp makes it to 105+/- (usually takes 10-12 min), then turn off the oven, don't' open the door. Pull it out when its makes 125-127 (another 10 min max). Let rest on counter for 20 min or so, it will raise to about 135 and be perfect med/rare. Skim the drippings and make a demi-glace with a little balsamic, beef stock, red wine and finish with a little cold butter. I feed this to guests often and they all absolutely love it, most think its roast beef.

Also grill them on a pellet smoker, or gas grill. don't cook over 125-127 internal, rest for 20 min. Temperature is key. The only way moose is bad is if its over cooked. It eats as good as beef IMO.

1719694247023.png

1719694238227.png

Another favorite... continuously slice a roast so it unrolls into a large flat sheet of meat. Place whole roasted green chilies, oaxaca cheese (or another soft cheese), spinich and salt/pepper to taste. Roll up, skewer, and slice into lollypops, light coat of olive oil, grill for about 3-5 min a side.

1719694198664.png

Reverse seared on a pellet grill

Really nicely trimmed roast. I like to wet brine for 24 hours or so. Ups the moisture. Out of the brine, rinsed, paper towel dry. Rub with olive oil. Season with whatever I’m feeling, just no more salt because of the brine.

Set grill low, 200 if I have the time. Smoke until it hits 130IT. Pull off the grill. Crank grill to max temp (mine is 600). Let roast rest while the grill gets super hot. Usually about half an hour.

Roast back on until browned to your desired level.

Slice thin across the grain. Leftovers make great sandwiches. IMG_0410.jpeg

My go to is, heavily coat a room temp roast with kosher salt, slather a room temp herb'ed butter and cracked pepper

cook in oven at 500 degrees until internal temp makes it to 105+/- (usually takes 10-12 min), then turn off the oven, don't' open the door. Pull it out when its makes 125-127 (another 10 min max). Let rest on counter for 20 min or so, it will raise to about 135 and be perfect med/rare. Skim the drippings and make a demi-glace with a little balsamic, beef stock, red wine and finish with a little cold butter. I feed this to guests often and they all absolutely love it, most think its roast beef.

Also grill them on a pellet smoker, or gas grill. don't cook over 125-127 internal, rest for 20 min. Temperature is key. The only way moose is bad is if its over cooked. It eats as good as beef IMO.

View attachment 331184

View attachment 331183

Another favorite... continuously slice a roast so it unrolls into a large flat sheet of meat. Place whole roasted green chilies, oaxaca cheese (or another soft cheese), spinich and salt/pepper to taste. Roll up, skewer, and slice into lollypops, light coat of olive oil, grill for about 3-5 min a side.

View attachment 331182
He wins.

If you cut it in 3/4” slices and tenderize it with a meat hammer, you can use them for more back strap type recipes. Wrapped in bacon with an onion sliver or jalapeños and cream cheese on the pit is probably my favorite, along with fajitas a close second. Of coarse some of it will get deep fried.

The meat hammer has really upped my game as far as prepping the less tender cuts of an animal. I’m not sure why it isn’t more popular.

I do a fair bit of Dutch oven roast aswell when I have the time. Same basic way as others except I’ll poke a few holes in it and shove some onions, garlic and parsley in. It will really add to the flavor.

Once a year or so I’ll cube a roast up and put in a big vegetable soup.

I like making beef bourguignon with roasts in a slow cooker. Make sure you sear the roast or it can dry out. I omit the small potatoes, soy sauce, and use a regular diced onion in mine, but the recipe below is what I use. I serve it on mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
Some great recommendations already. I'll add I enjoy the Mississippi style roast in a crockpot or just cooking in Italian au jus and making sandwiches. This stuff makes amazing sandwiches. Pastrami is definitelya favorite as well as a corned roast. 20240629_184810.jpg

View attachment 331184

View attachment 331183

View attachment 331182
Holy moly! That all looks delicious.

I used to cook roasts in the crock pot. Never really enjoyed those slow cooker roasts. A couple years ago we started using a dutch oven and our roast game 100% improved. We just throw sh*t together in the dutch oven and cook it low and slow! Delicious every time!
roast is ok in the crack pot, but a good old seasoned Dutch oven sends it up to 💯

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregmilly27
Back