Follow along on Yooper's trad journey!

Yooper906

Figured I would do a blog or a thread (for those interested) on my journey into traditional archery. To start out, I love shooting my bow, I shoot 4-5 times a week and really love the sport of archery. Shooting my bow isn't just practice, it's been therapy for me and lets me block out everything for the 30 minutes. I am not a professional archer, but I would say I am a decent shot. However, I was really critiquing myself after every shooting session, wanted pinhole groups, started tinkering with my bow (thinking that was the problem) and ultimately took the fun out of shooting.

I recently had the urge to dive into the world of traditional archery, shooting my compound is fun, but shooting a recurve is a BLAST! I spent hours doing research on what bow to get, recurve vs longbow, ILF vs wood bow, etc. I chose to go with an ILF setup to start this journey. I was overwhelmed with all the options out there and eventually I would like to get a custom wood recurve, but I am not there yet. I bought a used Hoyt Satori riser for a great price and then purchased a set of 35 lb DAS Bamboo Limbs, I went with the 35 lbs so I can learn proper form/mechanics. I then signed up for the Solid Archery course and that has helped me get a better understanding of shooting my recurve.

So far, I have been shooting at 15 yards and pretty surprised of the groups down range. 3 fingers under feels more comfortable than split finger, I recently started using the "crawl" method for aiming and have noticed a big difference in my groups. I thought everyone was instinctive aiming in the traditional world, but I quickly have found out that's not at all the case. My goal for this year is to be proficient enough to hunt with the recurve, Sept 16 is opening day of bear for me and I am really hoping to take one with the recurve.

My compound is quickly gathering dust, as I don't really have any interest in shooting it. It's crazy that 15-20 yards with a compound seems so easy, yet it's my max (currently) with the recurve. Shooting this recurve has done wonders to my mental state, I am no longer worried about pinhole groups, but am happy with a group of 4inches on my block target. I am finding myself at work looking forward to coming home just to shoot, I shoot before work in the morning, it's getting addicting.

Thanks for reading,
-Yooper

Been shooting recurve for 45 yrs now. Lots of guys I've hunted with that shot compounds changed to a recurve because they saw how much I was having. Enjoy the journey, there will be days you curse

Back