MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Conservation Cuts in HR 1

Ben Lamb

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20110331/NEWS01/103310303

1 pointer pointed this out in the wolf thread. The House voted to cut a lot of critical programs that are actually revenue generators in HR 1. As happy as we are with the inclusion of the wolf rider, these other cuts are disappointing. Everyone expected there to be some cuts, but the House used a butcher's knife rather than a scalpel.

On the chopping block:
Land and Water Conservation Fund: This fund conserves ag land, creates new Fishing Access Sites, City Parks, and there is a 1.5% mandate for increasing access.

Also, in MT it will effect the Tenderfoot acquisition that RMEF has done such great work on:

North American Wetlands Conservation Act has been zeroed out

State and Tribal Wildlife Grants: Zeroed out. SWG helps keep species off of the endangered species list, which means that SWG helps get development projects like Oil and Gas going on public lands.

Ultimately, these programs are all good business for local communities:

"There is an $11 million per year sustainable economy built just around hunting and fishing on the Rocky Mountain Front," he said. "(If HR1 passes,) we are going to have fewer rooms rented at the Stage Stop Inn in Choteau, fewer people buying that new shotgun from Capital Sports in Helena, or even that extra box of ammo.

Perhaps even stranger though is the Herger Amendment, which zeroes out enforcement of travel plans:

Far-fetched amendment would tie Forest Service's hands

This amendment really will lead to closed trails, roads and severely reduce hunter access to the National Forest systems in all states.

I know I wanna say something, but I, seldom at a loss for words, am coming up short. I was kinda looking forward to a break after our own MT legislative juggernaut. The national situation isn't going to let that happen. The powers in DC have their hands full with bickering about how to drive the whole shebang into the ground. Sportsmen's issues (not the big deal to the majority of the country) are poised to take a dump along with all kinds of things. We better get our collective shit together, if we are so inclined, cuz there is a lot we stand to lose. LWCF is a big deal, among others.

Hey Ben , are you ready to take on the U.S. Congressional body next.....I think the email lists are gonna be a little bigger than little old Montany's. I gotta feeling that the DC delegation will make us wish we were still dealing with the Barretts, Brendens, and Wellborns.......

My guess there's still more bad news looming on the horizon... The Farm Bill is due for a re-do in 2012 and there are LOTS of conservation programs tied to that funding that could greatly affect most everywhere...

At a conference back in January I sat in on a talk by an ag economist that has had a hand in writing all the Farm Bills for the last 3 decades or so. The economic situation is making conservation an easy target for funding cuts as the majority of the country focuses on other issues. His predictions for funding of many programs/agencies that work in conservation did not paint a rosy picture. The really sad part, IMO, was his comparison of the deficit to the expenditures. Conservation programs make up a miniscule portion of the budget, but being easy targets will probably recieve a disporportionate amount of cuts.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElkMountain
Back