CO hunter safety

I took hunters safety in the 7th grade PE, we did all of the course work during school and at the end of the class we had a field trip to the gun range and shot .22, clay pigeons, muzzleloaders, and archery. In 8th grade we took boaters safety. And every year in junior high (6th-8th grade) the first unit in PE was archery. We would shoot archery every day on the outfield of the baseball diamond.

I currently teach hunters safety in 2 different school districts. Every time I begin a new class I send a letter home to the parents saying what and why we are teaching hunters education. In 10 years and over 900 kids through my classes in the schools I have had a few parents ask why. I tell the parent that hunters education is a bad name for the class and we will not be learning as much about hunting, but we will learn about firearm safety. Every student in rural NE Iowa will come in contact with a firearm whether it is at their house, a grandparents house or a friends house and the child needs to know how to handle the firearm safely and calmly when it happens. After I explain that to the parent I have never had anyone anyone ask that their child not participate in the class, but instead they say I did not think of the class like that. Thank you for teaching it in the school. Now, I get more calls from parents asking when we will be teaching hunters education in the school and barely any on why we are teaching it.

Both of the schools I teach the course at are a little different. One school blocks off 3 hours per day for 5 straight days. We take the course, bring real firearms into the school, and the students handle them in the gym doing different scenarios with a firearm. They learn how to unload and load a firearm and how each action works. We do not offer live fire during the school day, but we do have a Saturday at the range where it is voluntary for kids to come if they would like to live fire. At the other school we meet 1 or 2 times a week for an hour each time. I am not allowed to bring in real guns to this school, but I have wooden silhouettes. It is better than nothing. At the end of the classroom portion the students take a field trip to our nature center where they do the field skills portion of the class.

The local paper did a story on the class I am teaching now in school.

1647030730090.jpeg

I took hunters safety in the 7th grade PE, we did all of the course work during school and at the end of the class we had a field trip to the gun range and shot .22, clay pigeons, muzzleloaders, and archery. In 8th grade we took boaters safety. And every year in junior high (6th-8th grade) the first unit in PE was archery. We would shoot archery every day on the outfield of the baseball diamond.

I currently teach hunters safety in 2 different school districts. Every time I begin a new class I send a letter home to the parents saying what and why we are teaching hunters education. In 10 years and over 900 kids through my classes in the schools I have had a few parents ask why. I tell the parent that hunters education is a bad name for the class and we will not be learning as much about hunting, but we will learn about firearm safety. Every student in rural NE Iowa will come in contact with a firearm whether it is at their house, a grandparents house or a friends house and the child needs to know how to handle the firearm safely and calmly when it happens. After I explain that to the parent I have never had anyone anyone ask that their child not participate in the class, but instead they say I did not think of the class like that. Thank you for teaching it in the school. Now, I get more calls from parents asking when we will be teaching hunters education in the school and barely any on why we are teaching it.

Both of the schools I teach the course at are a little different. One school blocks off 3 hours per day for 5 straight days. We take the course, bring real firearms into the school, and the students handle them in the gym doing different scenarios with a firearm. They learn how to unload and load a firearm and how each action works. We do not offer live fire during the school day, but we do have a Saturday at the range where it is voluntary for kids to come if they would like to live fire. At the other school we meet 1 or 2 times a week for an hour each time. I am not allowed to bring in real guns to this school, but I have wooden silhouettes. It is better than nothing. At the end of the classroom portion the students take a field trip to our nature center where they do the field skills portion of the class.

View attachment 215098
Funny, I'm originally from Decorah, moved to Mabel in 84 and took hs through school as you mentioned. Have a Mabe's for me please, double cheese.....

Funny, I'm originally from Decorah, moved to Mabel in 84 and took hs through school as you mentioned. Have a Mabe's for me please, double cheese.....
I think all of the NE Iowa schools had hunters Ed as part of the curriculum back in the day. It seems as teachers that were certified instructors retired no one took over teaching the class. The schools didn’t drop it because of opposition it was a lack of instructors.

View attachment 215098
Good for you! If only all schools could have a gun safety course.

View attachment 215098
Thank you for teaching this class. Makes your community, your state, and therefore our country a better place. We need this in more schools and more folks like you!

I still have my Colorado hunter safety card. Took mine in the early 70s. Not sayin my age LOL cuz I tell everyone that knows me that I am only 26.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back