Cleaning a skull cap

jvanhoy

So what is the best method to clean a skull cap? I killed my elk 3 weeks ago and capped it off. I tried to skin it the best I could then wrapped it up in a plastic bag and duct taped it up to keep flies off until we finished our trip and got home a week later. Unwrapped it back home and it was pretty dang nasty. I sprayed it off and tried to skin some more then put it in a tub and filled with salt. Got it out tonight and it’s still pretty rank. Used some bleach and tried getting the last of the white junk off it. Guess I’ll salt it again? Please tell me somebody has a better method for what to do after the hunt to get it home and after. I didn’t have a pot to boil so may try that next year. Any other options?

Boiling is the best way to go, but as you don't have one use a pressure washer and scraping, otherwise I guess you could have let nature takes it course, maggots and sun!
You will get it white again, mix peroxide with climbers chalk ( that is a tip from a member on here) paint it on cleaned skull, seal in plastic bag for 24 hours, remove, if necessary add more peroxide mix and leave it in the sun.
Congrats on the Elk BTW!
Cheers
Richard

Yes, boil it, not really boil but simmer it for a few hours. The meat will come off pretty easily then. You may want to simmer for a few hours then change water and put some dawn dish soap in new water for a few hours of simmer to get any grease or oil out of the skull. That yellows it later.
After the meat is off then use 40 volume peroxide from a beauty supply or hair salon to soak for a about a day or two. Don't get that peroxide on your skin. You will rinse it off and it will be very white then.

Plastic bags are not a good idea to wrap a skull in for a period of time. You know the results now. Next time just clean it in the field then let it sit outside and dry out some. Wrap it in something that breaths a little for transport . It will smell some but not rotten like after being wrapped in plastic. Don't "boil " too long or too hot or it will separate at the seams.

Congrats on the elk!! Post up a pic of the skull mount after you get him cleaned up.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Covenant01
Back