Caribou Gear

BNIB Leupold 3-18x44 VX-6HD CDS-ZL2 #171565

44hunter45

I bought two of these this year. One for my .358 Norma Magnum build, the other for future projects. Well it turns out that the internal leveling system in the 6HD makes them illegal for hunting in Idaho. I love these scopes, but I would be a hypocrite if I used it in the field. I'm the guy preaching law and order.

This is New In Box, still sealed in cellophane from Leupold. I am going to hang on to the one I'm using for now. Maybe IDFG policy will change.

Yes, I could put it up over on RS, but I would be the FNG over there and I know I wouldn't want to spend this level of money from an unknown guy.

$1500 TYD - I'm breaking even.

IMG_3823[1].JPG

I bought two of these this year. One for my .358 Norma Magnum build, the other for future projects. Well it turns out that the internal leveling system in the 6HD makes them illegal for hunting in Idaho. I love these scopes, but I would be a hypocrite if I used it in the field. I'm the guy preaching law and order.

This is New In Box, still sealed in cellophane from Leupold. I am going to hang on to the one I'm using for now. Maybe IDFG policy will change.

Yes, I could put it up over on RS, but I would be the FNG over there and I know I wouldn't want to spend this level of money from an unknown guy.

$1500 TYD - I'm breaking even.

View attachment 336621
Where does it say that you can’t use something that has an electronic leveling system?

P.98

With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated in, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."

Would love to hear others thoughts on this as I have both a VX5 and VX6

Last edited:
Where does it say that you can’t use something that has an electronic leveling system?

P.98

With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated in, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."
I'm still stinging from my 30 minute phone call with IDFG enforcement in Boise. They made it plain that their policy is that the internal leveling system goes beyond a lighted reticle.
I don't have the energy to hash this out again.

Last edited:
Gotta like honorable people.
I'm taking the other off my .358 Norma and putting the Zeiss 2-10x42 back on.

Gonna put the Leupold in the cabinet for now.

The one I'm selling was slated for a 6.5x55mm rebuild I have going.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I just called the game warden in the area that I will be hunting in Idaho, and he told me as long as the battery is out it’s fine.

Perhaps that might help you from having to sell a great scope?

This whole thing about electronics is quite silly in my opinion. I think anything that would help make a more ethical shot / recovery (lighted nocks used to be illegal) would be smart.

If IDFG wanted to be more clear, they could say something to the effect of a scope that is “thermal, read distance or wind speed is not legal”. They leave it ambiguous and that’s the problem.

For what it’s worth, I just called the game warden in the area that I will be hunting in Idaho, and he told me as long as the battery is out it’s fine.

Perhaps that might help you from having to sell a great scope?

This whole thing about electronics is quite silly in my opinion. I think anything that would help make a more ethical shot / recovery (lighted nocks used to be illegal) would be smart.

If IDFG wanted to be more clear, they could say something to the effect of a scope that is “thermal, read distance or wind speed is not legal”. They leave it ambiguous and that’s the problem.
I get it. I cannot risk a violation. Especially on my OIL moose tag.

I will be airing this whole thing out over in the Idaho tech thread at some point. I'm pretty chapped and I don't want to snap at you about it.

I just want it to go to someone who can use it. I was willing to put that kind of investment in the cabinet, but not if it has a muddy future. The IDFG HAT advisory group may push the balance in my favor, but I think some powerful people are gonna get what they want on that. Right now I need to focus on my moose hunt.

I don't want to sit on this scope until it's last year's toy.

All this conversation is shitty salesmanship. Who would want to buy it after reading this thread?

Last edited:

I will be airing this whole thing out over in the Idaho tech thread at some point. I'm pretty chapped and I don't want to snap at you about it.

I just want it to go to someone who can use it. I was willing to put that kind of investment in the cabinet, but not if it has a muddy future. The tech advisory group may push the balance in my favor, but I think some powerful people are gonna get what they want on that. Right now I need to focus on my moose hunt.

All this conversation is shitty salesmanship. Who would want to buy it after reading this thread?
Any chance you could return it?

I just want it to go to someone who can use it. I was willing to put that kind of investment in the cabinet, but not if it has a muddy future. The IDFG HAT advisory group may push the balance in my favor, but I think some powerful people are gonna get what they want on that. Right now I need to focus on my moose hunt.

I was only trying to offer help so that you didn’t need to sell it as it’s a great scope. I own one.

If anything, it brings the thread to the top of the list, and not everyone is going to be hunting Idaho.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back