Beef cows and elk during the rut

Itsbeef

Hey all,
I’ve got a spot in Montana I’ve been scouting for elk this summer come September. There is a heard of beef cows in the area that stay until the end of September. I’ve heard mixed opinions on if they all hang out around each and tolerate eachother or if the elk stay away from them during the rut. In my experience if there is a herd of cows grazing an area for the summer I’ve never seen elk around them.
Thoughts?

Hey all,
I’ve got a spot in Montana I’ve been scouting for elk this summer come September. There is a heard of beef cows in the area that stay until the end of September. I’ve heard mixed opinions on if they all hang out around each and tolerate eachother or if the elk stay away from them during the rut. In my experience if there is a herd of cows grazing an area for the summer I’ve never seen elk around them.
Thoughts?
I've used cattle herds to mask my sound to get in close to elk during archery, but that's in high country with grazing leases mixed with FS. If it's elk habitat and there's enough feed, they will be there. If the cattle have mowed everything down or you are at lower elevation, they probably won't. Good luck!

Hey all,
Thoughts?

I haven’t had good hunting amongst summer moo cows on public land during the rut. Found lots of good hunting predictably, immediately on the other side of the rotation fence where the grass has not been grazed.

I have also seen elk in the same areas as cattle, within a hundred yards of each other. I don't allow cattle to deter me from hunting an area or thinking elk are possibly there.

Shoot the cows. You get rid of invasive species and have really good table fare!!!😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back