Caribou Gear Tarp

August elk scouting

jvanhoy

Just finished up a scouting trip for my southern general tag in Wy. Checked out several places I got into elk the last time I hunted the area. Sign was not impressive and a big difference then what I found in September last trip. I’ve never done a scouting trip like this so I’m wondering if I should be looking into different areas when I come back mid September or is it possible the elk just haven’t moved into these areas yet? It’s all summer range 8-10k areas. My main spot I did find a ton of horned trees from last season so I feel good about that. Just not much fresh tracks or droppings. In your experience do the Elk move much from now until mid September rut time?

I don’t feel the cows move much…unless there is pressure. The bulls definitely move.

For me, I always have several areas I like to hunt. If the elk aren’t there, I simply move. I really like the areas but won’t bother if the elk aren’t there.

I have one area in Wyoming that I love to hunt and usually find elk in the area. One year the elk simply were not there. We later stumbled onto a guy who set a spike camp in the middle of a bedding area so he could be into elk right away. I also had an area that was logged one week before season. Elk were in the area thick then simply gone.

Try the area in September but have a backup plan. JMO

Just finished up a scouting trip for my southern general tag in Wy. Checked out several places I got into elk the last time I hunted the area. Sign was not impressive and a big difference then what I found in September last trip. I’ve never done a scouting trip like this so I’m wondering if I should be looking into different areas when I come back mid September or is it possible the elk just haven’t moved into these areas yet? It’s all summer range 8-10k areas. My main spot I did find a ton of horned trees from last season so I feel good about that. Just not much fresh tracks or droppings. In your experience do the Elk move much from now until mid September rut time?
yeah, they move a LOT, when they are scouted too much!

I don’t archery hunt areas where I don’t see sign during the summer. In my experience they aren’t likely to just show up 3 weeks from now, if they aren’t using the area now. I have noticed that some years they use some drainages and the next year they may not use that drainage at all, but they will be somewhere in the general area.

They will be in the summer range. But, as mentioned, OnX, basemaps, gohunt etc has changed the game. You might find them opening week in those spots, but inevitably someone- without experience but a lot of ambition- will set up basecamp in their kitchen, bedroom, or travel corridor and they will peace out. As such, my opening week spots are not my second or 3rd week spots. You need to adjust your thinking after the first week and know that the cows will adjust their food source to the pressure and the bulls will follow them.

As others have said, the cows should be in similar spots during archery unless they get pushed. So, if you found them in that spot last year, could they have been pushed there earlier in the season? Or were you hunting the first part of the season?

In some areas I've hunted, the elk can typically be found in the same areas year after year, and in other areas they can move around more based on the forage for that year, etc.

Either way, as was mentioned before, it's probably still worth checking that same area out again this year but be sure to have backup spots in case they aren't there.

In my experience, elk movement from early summer to mid-September can vary quite a bit, especially in areas like Wyoming where elevation and food sources play a big role. It's not uncommon for the elk to still be higher up in early August, sticking to cooler, higher elevations with good forage. As the season progresses and temperatures drop, elk will often move down to those traditional rutting areas you're scouting.
The fact that you found a lot of horned trees from last season is a good sign—elk were definitely in the area during the rut last year, so there's a good chance they'll return. Keep in mind that elk are often a bit scattered during the summer months, and their patterns become more defined as the rut approaches.
I'd recommend keeping those spots in mind but also scouting a few alternative areas just in case the elk don't move in as expected. Sometimes they'll follow the same patterns, but other times they can surprise you depending on food availability, pressure, and weather. Checking out adjacent areas with similar elevation or food sources might help you cover your bases.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlpineCB
Back