45 Colt & 45-70. What pressures to load to?

std7mag

Ok, recently bought 2 different 45 caliber firearms.
Problem is that there are 3 pressure levels for each.

First firearm is a Taurus Judge with the 6.5" barrel.
I have a bunch of 185gr Sierra JHP.
I have found data from Lyman 48th for the 185gr, but it's rifle data, not pistol.
The data give information for Unique. 9.0gr is most accurate, but dirty as heck!

Second firearm is a Henry Single Shot Brass in 45-70.
This is a break open action, not a falling block like a Ruger #1.
Got some 300gr Sierra JHP for it also.
Planned powder is Vihtavouri N130.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

45 lc out of the judge (unless "raging" model) should be low pressure stuff for old colt six guns. Theres a lot of hot 45 lc for rifles and heavier built revolvers. I wouldnt shoot them in the judge.

As stated above, I believe a Judge is only rated for the tier 1 saami spec loads. I wouldn’t have a problem starting close to max book data though in that pistol.

Thanks!!!

As I said, 9.0gr of Unique was my most accurate. Just dirty as all get out.
I'm going to try and find a cleaner burning powder.
QL is going to be my friend keeping an eye on pressure.

Echoing what others have said about the Colt. That break open is pretty strong from what I’ve heard, though.

Try Hodgdon Universal instead of Unique.
The local distributor/wholesaler has the full line of Vihtavouri that is running comparable or slightly less price wise than Hodgdon powders.

When's the last time you heard that? Lol

I was looking at QL for a powder that I have to match the velocity of Unique. All I have is Alliant Blue Dot. Charges would go from 9.0gr of Unique to 13.0gr. of Blue Dot.
Would give a higher case fill, which I'm looking for also.

I’ve seen 300 gr JHPs (Remington) shoot really well over 56 gr 3031 in Marlin .45-70s. They’ve been known to leave fist sized exits on whitetails too. Obviously follow your manuals and work up from the minimums etc etc.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back