Kenetrek Boots

2024 AK fishing trip in the books

BuzzH

Just got home yesterday from the annual AK trip. Was a good trip and we're already booked for 25 and 26, I'm not quitting until I'm dead. Then one final trip to leave part of my ashes there, one of my favorite places on planet earth.

Can't beat this sight:

71217.jpeg

One of the best days I've spent on the water in the 15+ years we've fished...pictures don't do the sunrise justice:

71227.jpeg

71226.jpeg

With the flat seas it was time to see if the fish were on the bite. Regardless, the weather was literally chamber of commerce perfect.

71228.jpeg

Stopped at the first place, fished a half hour, nothing.

Moved to another hump, the fish were there, and big ones, best day of the trip for weather, biggest fish day as well.

This one was the best fish of the trip, 121lbs

71131.jpeg

The ling cod fishing was spectacular. Actually after limiting on big halibut, we were going to slam rockfish waiting for the tide to shift to get some drift for jigging ling...WRONG. The ling cod were on the bite, limited in about 20 minutes, 16 total.

71224.jpeg

Went about 10 minutes to another spot...stupid fast rockfish, a couple dusky and a limit of blacks:

71223.jpeg

Boat limit, done by 12:15:

71098.jpeg

Was one of the co-captains birthday as well, home early to celebrate.

71218.jpeg

The rest of the trip was awesome, my friend and I fished an extra day with the guy we started fishing there with nearly 2 decades ago, a great bonus day on the water with our friend. Caught fish, but it wouldn't have mattered.

Total fish haul was about 1,150 lbs of filets for 8 guys...not too shabby.

Looks like an awesome trip. Hope to make it up there some time for a similar trip.

Looks like another great Alaska trip! You did awesome on the ling cod! We had similar results on halibut and salmon a couple weeks ago. I'm with you, that's a must do yearly trip until the day I die.

I always look forward to this thread. I really want to do this one day.

Can I ask how many are in your group and what your total cost is? Does your group charter the boat or were there others fishing as well?

I always look forward to this thread. I really want to do this one day.

Can I ask how many are in your group and what your total cost is? Does your group charter the boat or were there others fishing as well?
We book the entire boat 8 guys and we fish either 3 or 4 days and just split all the fish equally. The same applies to times when my buddy Tom and I fished with people we didn't know, equal split of fish.

Nothing ever goes perfectly on these trips, its Alaska and you just roll with it, part of the adventure. Tom and I had to fish with a group one day we didn't know because only 6 of us could get on another boat due to our 8 person boat having a prop issue.

I would figure all in about $3000-$3500 per person for 3-4 days of fishing door to door.

It pencils out pretty well considering the price of halibut ($36/lb) Lingcod ($27/lb), rockfish/pacific cod ($20/lb).

The least amount of fish we've ever brought back was 80 lbs each, the most about 150 lbs each.

Last edited:
We book the entire boat 8 guys and we fish either 3 or 4 days and just split all the fish equally. The same applies to times when my buddy Tom and I fished with people we didn't know, equal split of fish.

Nothing ever goes perfectly on these trips, its Alaska and you just roll with it, part of the adventure. Tom and I had to fish with a group one day we didn't know because only 6 of us could get on another boat due to our 8 person boat having a prop issue.

I would figure all in about $3000-$3500 per person for 3-4 days of fishing door to door.

It pencils out pretty well considering the price of halibut ($36/lb) Lingcod ($27/lb), rockfish/pacific cod ($20/lb).

The least amount of fish we've ever brought back was 80 lbs each, the most about 150 lbs each.
Thank you. That sounds pretty reasonable.

Heck yeah, congrats! I need to figure out when I’m going back next. The outfitter I fished with a couple times sold out despite having a world class spot and fishing quality.

Awesome trip. I made my first Alaska fishing trip this year for halibut and kings. It blew me away. Definitely won’t be my last, intend to make it a summer tradition. Only regret is not doing it sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back