Caribou Gear

Slate Calls

kirkl

Do any of you guys use slate calls and if you do, what kind do you like best, i have a primos alumni slate, im always having to scrup the slate and my striker, im looking at buying a new one, just want some different opinions.

Kirkl...Slates are my favorite!

I mouth call for long range calling, and even close in, hands free hen talk, but there is no sound like a good slate call to make that gobbler close that last few yards!

As far as the brand, I have one of just about every major brand, and like many.
No one favorite, but instaed suggest buying a reputable brand and trying it out, chances are, it will sound great!
DS

kirk, i prefer the the older slate models, they are a little larger and the box is usually deeper giving you a wider variation of tones. i tend to find them in small mom&pop type stores and they are uaually dust covered from sitting ,because everyone wants the new and improved version! i got one last year as a gift and its a frictionite surface i think from primos and it works pretty well. I like the older ones because it seems easier for me to produce the few sounds that i use on a regular basis.

have you tried different strikers plastic,carbon and rosewood??? some work better on different surfaces!?

if your looking for calls e-mail gtcalls from the old forum he manufactures calls and im sure he could help! just my .02 and good luck!

------------------
"in the Spring we Strut and in the Fall we Rut"

gator1.gif

Kirkl, I love a slate call! The only time I don't use one is when a bird is in site.
I carry several different strikers and two slates with me at all times. This allows me to change pitches and sounds if nothing is working. A box call is also easy to use and does a good job.
As far as the brands, all the major brands make good calls. I have a Primos Power Crystal that does a good job. I prefer the crystal and glass calls over the actual slates and aluminum calls. They will hold an edge longer and will work in the rain. My favorite call is a hand made crystal call with a walnut base that I gave $60 for. I can't remember the guys name that made it. Also the Cody II is a nice glass call with a walnut base. It runs around $35 if you don't want to spend allot on a walnut based call.
Like DKO said gtcalls makes calls. You might want to contact him. Here is his home page:
http://home.att.net/~gtcalls

[This message has been edited by Mountain Boomer (edited 12-19-2000).]

kirkl,
A very good call to try is the Knight & Hale Ole Yeller. It is very easy to use. Is quite forgiving and has great sound.
DKO let the cat out of the bag about slates. Try different strikers. Your call will have one that it likes best. Also, you can change the sound/tone of your call just by changing strikers. It's kind of like having a new call with every striker. Besides different materials, you might try strikers with different diameters, too. Thin ones will be higher pitched than thick ones, but are harder to control. SR

Ole Yellar gets my vote!!!

Have several,but the Ole Yellar has to be about the easiest to use I have seen.
hell,even a dog can use it!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

Deer_runs.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member