Caribou Gear

Arrow rest

Yes, I live out west and have a great midwest deer property. Western bowhunting isn't 25 yard chipshots out of a tree.
Man, I guess I’d better hang it up since I’m only getting 250fps with my arrows around 425 grains. Of course, Uncle Randy killed a bison drawing 60lbs and flinging 520 grainers, so maybe there is hope for us after all.

Man, I guess I’d better hang it up since I’m only getting 250fps with my arrows around 425 grains. Of course, Uncle Randy killed a bison drawing 60lbs and flinging 520 grainers, so maybe there is hope for us after all.
Do what works, just saying, western bowhunting needs confidence from 60/90 yards. Look at Levi Morgan's vids out west. Heck, I have killed over 120 whitetails on my place, chips shots. Go west and you will get schooled. Practice@60/90 and a 50 yard shot is easy. Just my experience from 52 years of bowhunting.

If you only shoot 250 fps with a 425 grain arrow, it's an old bow or alligator arms. We get chrono.@every 3d.

If you only shoot 250 fps with a 425 grain arrow, it's an old bow or alligator arms. We get chrono.@every 3d.
Ha guilty, alligator arms here. Speed verified on a chrono at my local shop a couple of weeks ago. Only drawing about 27.5 inches.

Agree that practicing at long range makes those 50 yarders easier but saying you’ve got to be hitting 300fps and shooting animals at 90 yards to be successful out here in the West just isn’t accurate.

Ha guilty, alligator arms here. Speed verified on a chrono at my local shop a couple of weeks ago. Only drawing about 27.5 inches.

Agree that practicing at long range makes those 50 yarders easier but saying you’ve got to be hitting 300fps and shooting animals at 90 yards to be successful out here in the West just isn’t accurate.
No worries, sit on waterholes or only take shots to 50 yds. When you draw a western tag or shots will be limited. My last 3 midwest book deer were taken from 50/70 yards because I hunt the west, otherwise I walk in and say, saw a big buck@64 yards but too far.

I said 60/90 yards. My draw is 30, I shoot a 65lb. Pse carbon, shot pse for 50 years. My midwest bow is 60lbs. Again, treestand chipshots.

No worries, sit on waterholes or only take shots to 50 yds. When you draw a western tag or shots will be limited. My last 3 midwest book deer were taken from 50/70 yards because I hunt the west, otherwise I walk in and say, saw a big buck@64 yards but too far.
That’s the plan. Not getting much speed regardless with my draw length so went a little heavier on arrows. Just have to be choosy with my shots.

Burned 14 pts. Last year in the best ca. Mulie unit with lions. Yes, passed 140 bucks closer, I got to a 180 buck, was 81 yards, after 3 hours hugging lava rock and heat, I missed in a 20 knot crosswind. That's western mulie hunting.

I went from a ripcord to the hamskea. Both are good rest but once I switched I realized a form issue that I couldn’t notice with the ripcord. If my face applied pressure to the arrow at full draw I can tell with the hamskea - where on the ripcord the launcher arms would hide the form issue and result in flyer shots.

I was confident at 60 on a limited unit elk hunt and passed on a herd bull at 82 yards. Still had the hunt of my life. Shoot what your comfortable with and enjoy the experience.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back