PEAX Equipment

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Not what I'm after but since I haven't caught anything else better than nothing. How many of you can say you caught a catfish on a 6" bunny tail? Wont say it was on my bucket list.šŸ™„View attachment 325974
just when you think youā€™ve seen it allā€¦ how da hell do you catch a catfish on a fly rod šŸ˜†

What kind of tackle are you guys running? Iā€™m trying to go as little as possible. I have a box of flies with a good assortment of wet, emergers and dry flies, two rolls of tippets, extra leaders, cork and yarn strike indicators in a small fly cup, pliers, knife, net, leader straightener (or whatever you call it) spare pole and reel, and the float powder stuff. I have it all in a pole case with two pockets. I donā€™t really see me going back to my backpack for extra stuff which is nice. Could probably do without the spare pole, I donā€™t really ever use it but you never knowā€¦.

Iā€™m going backcountry fishing some time this year and want to make sure Iā€™m not missing anything essential.
Theres been plenty of times Iā€™ve gone backcountry fishing, carrying a bunch of extra crap, and needed nothing more than a few royal wulffs, some gink, and a roll of 4x tippet all week. Pack a wee little streamer or two as well. Maybe some whiskey if the wulffs donā€™t work.

Last edited:
I donā€™t have pictures but I got my big break this weekend. For some reason, I couldnā€™t not catch fish this weekend.

Iā€™m in my favorite place in the world in SW Colorado. I decided to make a short fishing trip to some alpine lakes and the great Rio Grande river. I got in late last night and decided that Iā€™d fish until sunset. I got behind some deadfall because there was a slow current under a pine tree. It took two horsefly casts and I caught my first rio grande rainbow.

The next day was lake day. One of the lakes was still inaccessible so we decided to go to a small reservoir off the main road. I tried a prince nymph and lost it on the third cast. I decided to switch to a double bead San Juan worm. Iā€™m telling ya, I couldnā€™t stop catching fish. I was using a bobber and it took a few casts to get the right depth. I hit my personal best of 11 fish today, 9 rainbow and 2 brownies. It was amazing.

I donā€™t have pictures but I got my big break this weekend. For some reason, I couldnā€™t not catch fish this weekend.

Iā€™m in my favorite place in the world in SW Colorado. I decided to make a short fishing trip to some alpine lakes and the great Rio Grande river. I got in late last night and decided that Iā€™d fish until sunset. I got behind some deadfall because there was a slow current under a pine tree. It took two horsefly casts and I caught my first rio grande rainbow.

The next day was lake day. One of the lakes was still inaccessible so we decided to go to a small reservoir off the main road. I tried a prince nymph and lost it on the third cast. I decided to switch to a double bead San Juan worm. Iā€™m telling ya, I couldnā€™t stop catching fish. I was using a bobber and it took a few casts to get the right depth. I hit my personal best of 11 fish today, 9 rainbow and 2 brownies. It was amazing.
Way to go @perma. Psyched for you Man.
Glad you had success.
Remember the day and the conditions. It could work again, this year, next year and beyond.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back